Brisket: 26 Kettle vs 22 WSM

Justin NE Iowa

TVWBB Member
Got a prime brisket from Costco I'm going to cook for Saturday. I've made several briskets on the 22 WSM and turned out good. I bought a new 26 kettle that hasn't been used. Do I play with the new toy or do what I know? The temp will be down to 10 tonight. I do have a BBQ Guru for the WSM 22. I haven't used this for overnight brisket before. I know that the wsm with guru is the easiest route.

For those that have used the 26 kettle for brisket. Would like some suggestions on set ups and why?

1) I've seen snake method used. How long are people getting?
2) Also thinking about filling both charcoal baskets and splitting them up on both sides. Putting brisket in the middle with foil pan underneath. Time?

Any other suggestions or tips in regards to the kettle for brisket? I might try kettle at a faster temp.

Planning on some pecan and cherry. Injecting with Butchers BBQ. Adding some commercial rubs of some sort. First time trying butcher paper to wrap.

Lets hear any and all thoughts. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Justin

I'd stick with the WSM. Way easier. Especially with an ATC. I understand the impulse to play with the new toy though.

I had seen your thread. Part of why I'm thinking about not using the WSM. Good looking brisket on the flat and the burnt ends!!!!!

Thanks Justin. I had to use my 26er, there was no way that packer was going to fit on my 14.5WSM.

Went with the wsm. Too long of a day. Wanted some sleep. I trimmed down much more than I have ever before. Injected and rubbed. Set at 225. I separated the point and flat. Not real thick. Planned on wrapping in butcher paper in morning if it needs more time. I have a feeling this will cook fast. Flat is on bottom rack. Point on top.

I have some pictures and having trouble finding where to upload. New to this forum. Anyone help me with uploading from iPhone?

Hopefully these pictures come out. I trimmed very lean. No fat cap for bottom. Flavor was really good. Bend test passed. Pull test was a little tough.

Didn’t get pictures of finished product due to people eating immediately. I nearly took off 4-5 fingers of other people while cutting.

- - - Updated - - -

Justin:
Try this http://postimages.org/ I just recently started using this with an iPhone. Chose to resize for websites and forums. After you upload chose hotlink for forums. Pictures should look like this:

Thanks for the help.

Here is a picture of a slice of flat. Wasn’t a very thick flat. Picture doesn’t do it justice, but at least shows the smoke ring.

Back