Question regarding 22" holding temp and burning out

Drew Crook

So I used to own a 18" and could use the minion method to cook with little to no adjustments or fooling with for 10-12 hours. A while back I picked up a 22" at local Bargain Hunt store for less than $200. Love all the room and features my older model didn't have. Around the same time I started working on perfecting brisket. But I can't seem to keep a cook going long enough in the 22". I'll give you the details and would appreciate any suggestions or help.

I fill up the ring to the top with charcoal and few large chunks of wood. Light 15 or so briquettes in chimney until they turn to coals. Scatter on top of full ring. Open up bottom vents until within about 20 degrees of my temp, which has been about 250 or so following Aaron Franklin's method. I then close down the vents to 3/4 open. I add the meat. Temps evens out and I leave it alone. About 4 hours in the temp starts to drop. Tap the sides and open up the vents a little. 5 hours in drops starts dropping again. Open up some more and basically by 6 hours there is very little charcoal left and I'm running wide open to keep above 200. I basically have to remove the brisket and finish in the oven.

Door and top seem to be reasonably tight, no excessive smoke leaking.

I see people talking about have 12+ hour cooks in the 22.... what gives?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have vast experience but I'm somewhat surprised that you need your intake vents 3/4 open; mine are 1/8 open on average to run at 250. Your method is similar to mine, though I start with 8-10 lit coals. Are you satisfied that you're truly running 250? I realize my reply doesn't really offer a solution, though.

That had occurred to me. I guess my question would be if I really didn't need the vents open that much, wouldn't my temperature be climbing? IE if what you are thinking is correct then 250 can be maintained with the vents barely opened or opened 3/4 with the same results?

I'd agree on the vent opening. Just for laffs, have you tested the thermo (assuming you're using the weber one in the lid)?

Unscrew it, put the tip in boiling water and see if it shows 212o.

If for example, it shows 200, you know for future cooks that you will have to add 12o when doing your next smoke.

FOR EXAMPLE: you want 250, it will have to read ~ 262o Simple adjustment, just need to remember to do it each time you refer to it.

I can typically get 8-9 hours on a full load. By that I mean a full bag of KBB. I do my minion a little different, I use a coffee can with both ends cut out and load the briquettes around the can. I dump the lit coals into the can and then pull the can out with a pair of pliers.

Additionally, since getting my DigiQ, I put can up against the edge of the Charcoal Ring away from the air inlet. I don't know why I do that, I just do.

BD

I use a full 18.6 lb bag and pile it up. I kind of dig out as many coals as I want lit and form a crater in the center. This is usually 12 to 20 depending on ambient temp. I also don't use water. I've rarely had to add charcoal on a brisket cook. I sometimes have some charcoal unburnt left. I do have the cajun bandit door and latch as well as a gasket kit on the door and around the lip the lid rests on. At 225 to 250 I'm usually with 1 vent at 1/4 open the the other 2 closed, top wide open. I suspect the base of my center section is out of round and I didn't put the gasket there. My guess is you may be running hotter than I think you are, but I don't know. If the weather is cold and it's windy you will burn more fuel. During the summer I've gotten 20 hr cooks.

Last edited:

Back