Kettle high heat/fuel nearer food grate

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Assuming this actually requires a trick--and is not user-error--what do you do to get higher temps at the food grate than what I am able to achieve by simply placing coals on the charcoal grate at its default position? I have a Vortex, which works well on some grill sessions, but I'm looking for a way to get >500* on half the grilling surface on the 22 and/or 26. Thanks!

You might try some fire bricks to raise the height of the charcoal grate. Or to just create an area to pile the coals up higher.

Okay, I'll look at both options. But if I double my fuel I'll be using two chimneys over half the grate on the 22". Thanks.

Fully loaded chimney and only dump it on 1/2 the grill. Grill with the lid off so there is plenty of air. You will be well above 500 at the food grate. No fancy setup or devices needed.

That's how I sear. Then you have the other half for indirect cooking after the sear is complete. Although by the time I am done searing, the steaks are done. Use the lid to control flare ups but have both vents wide open.

I can peg my thermometer on my lid by doing this.
-full chimney of LUMP coal
-only cover half of lower grate when dumping
-leave lid off for 15mins
- add lid and food when ready

I can peg my thermometer on my lid by doing this.
-full chimney of LUMP coal
-only cover half of lower grate when dumping
-leave lid off for 15mins
- add lid and food when ready
Yep. Then turn the steaks leave the lid off to rejuvenate the coals. Once they are good and hot or you have flare ups put the lid back on and continue on.

I got a pair of the old style Weber charcoal baskets . They are narrower and the charcoal stacks high. Almost hits grate.

If you want high temp and leave the lid on, if you put the lid on a bit ajar so it's partially open you can easily peg the thermometer. Basically slide the lid over so it's resting on one of the handle brackets on the side w/a small opening around the opposite side. It'll get HOT.

Back