Q-300 Craigslist score!

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
While doing my almost daily search on Craigslist, I came across a Q-300 for $75," great condition". I called and arranged to look at it the next evening after work. When I got there, I could not believe my eyes. A Q300 in truly great condition, under a weber cover, with less than a year old grates! They were moving in 10 days, and wanted it gone. When I asked if the igniter worked, he said "that hasn't worked in years." When I asked if it had dual burners, "no, it's all or nothing, only one burner." We talked a bit and he asked if I cooked with charcoal...I told him yes, that I own a Weber performer..."Good, here. Take this weber starter thing, maybe you can figure out how to use it!" He also threw in a bag of charcoal, the gas cylinder, and 2 lighters!! When I got it home and tinkered with it, and started cleaning it, sure enough; she lights on the first try every time!! I hated to pay asking price, but the grill, new grates, a weber full size cover, full gas cylinder, a brand new chimney starter, charcoal, and a cpl lighters for $75?? I figured I was getting a pretty good deal!
Tim

A Q3xxx has 2 burners so if your's only has one it's not a 3xxx it's most likely a 2xxxx Also the 3 series has 2 control knobs. If not it's not a 3 series. Now a good 2 series is still a decent deal at $75 just not the smokin' deal a good 3 series is at $75

What Larry said above. It is a 2xx grill but still sounds like you got a good deal on it. I assume that it came with a cart as well?

I have a possibility on a q200 as well for $75. But I am not sure I want to deal with another grill in my garage right now. I may try to get it down to $50 and then go after it. It would come with the stand and weber cover as well.

I agree with the others that this still sounds like a pretty good deal based on the condition and all that was thrown in. Hope you can post a few pictures, if possible.

Yes they can unless you have an understanding wife

My wife doesn't find my pile of uncompleted grill projects very romantic this Valentine's Day, that's for sure. I am trying to not make the mistake of buying yet another project until I can finish some of what I have on hand and sell them. That is hard because there are some good deals on interesting grills right now! Oh well...

Trust me, it's a Q-300. Dual knobs, 2 burners, mounted to the stand...what I was trying to say was, that the owner never really knew what he had, or how to use it correctly. He bought the biggest model Q they had, took it home, and grilled. I honestly don't think he knew that you started it by turning on the middle burner first, and after it was lit, then fire up the round (front and back) burner. My wife is pretty understanding when it comes to my addiction. She knows I'm not purchasing unless the price is right. She also knows that there are far worse and more expensive things I could be accumulating.
Tim

Tim: Great job. You got a steal...really. Anyway, you could spend that much on a night at the bar, so yah, I think your wife is right on. If you fix up and sell a couple of those great finds, your addiction will pay for itself pretty soon.

The wife has given me the "green light" to buy a WeberQ, but, she is insisting that my WSM 18" "Classic", Weber Smokey Joe and Weber 22" "Mastertouch" must first-go to clear out my BBQ Area. If I decide to do this my other Charcoal Accessories, i.e., "SlowNSear Plus", "Vortex",ABC Stainless Steel Grate, Weber Gourmet Grill along with the WG Pizza Stone,WG Sear Grate,WG Grill Pan will also be on the chopping block.

Last edited:
Time for a new wife. All kidding aside a Q cannot do those things. It's a pretty singular purpose grill. Basically a "grill". Low and slow, smoking etc, are basically non starters on a Q

The wife has given me the "green light" to buy a WeberQ, but, she is insisting that my WSM 18" "Classic" and Weber 22" "Mastertouch" must first-go to clear out my BBQ Area. If I decide to do this my other Charcoal Accessories, i.e., "SlowNSear Plus", "Vortex",ABC Stainless Steel Grate, Weber Gourmet Grill along with the WG Pizza Stone,WS Sear Grate,WS Grill Pan will also be on the chopping block.

Richard,
I love my Q, but that is too much to sacrifice!

If you got a 100/1000 series Q and a collapsible cart you could practically hang it on a wall in a shed or garage when not in use. Maybe you could sell her on that;).

Yah, the Q is a good grill and plenty for some people, but my guess is that you might wind up missing some of your other implements.

Oh so you've been trying? I think if they're young enough it's still pretty good. The old ones not so much. I know I haven't found a taker ;)

I decided to keep my Charcoal BBQ/Grill toys along with the wife and down-the-road "sneak-in" the small WeberQ amongst my other grills.

Back