Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first dishwasher

My first dishwasher

I installed a new dishwasher in my kitchen today, just fired up the 2nd load rt now. I've never had my own, and my house didn't come with one....I've been hand washing for the last 15 years. I looked at my kitchen a few days ago (working too much) and thought "are you trying to get every d*m dish dirty? Seems to take me 20-40 minutes to do a load by hand, then I have to wait all day for them to dry......dunno, hope this helps me keep a cleaner house, but with me, you knever know.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that stainless pans shouldn't be washed in it - is that correct? What about porcelain-enameled cast iron? I just use the cheap (but love it!) stuff so I'm almost willing to take the risk.

Other than my cheap steak knives, I don't think I'll wash any knives.

No wood - got that, any other pointers for a guy in my sitch?

are Cuisinart food processor blades (and bowls) out of the question?

I got the LG LDF5545ST, seemed like a decent mid range unit that would do.

I had to remove a section of cabinetry to fit it in, 2 large shelves where I keep pots/pans along with the silverware drawer. My neighbor with the wood shop came by and offered advice and loaned me a tool to cut the section out..........I just got the idea, found a dishwasher, and slammed it in

I wash my SS pans (when I am lazy even my DW safe non stick from All-Clad too) in ours. Knives are fine no issue as long as you keep other things from touching and nicking the blades. Do not put high carbon blades in there. I for instance have some knives that are strictly German carbon steel. Those are VERY finicky. I even need to rinse and wipe them while using them to cut onions, garlic or nearly any vegetable. But knives like my Henckel which are high carbon stainless have no trouble going through the machine.
    Modern dishwashers are MUCH more efficient than hand washing BTW. Typically only using 2 to 3 gallons total to wash a load while hand washing can use 20 or more.
    I rarely if ever hand wash except for things requiring hand wash. BTW porcelain enameled CI is a no no. Porcelain does take on a "seasoning" and is not DW safe (at least I remember that from when I bought my LeCruset dutch oven 30 some years ago).
    Of course bare CI is out of the question LOL

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Not just wood. If you have good knives (like you said), do those by hand. Also, if you have crystal or good china. They will be scratched/fogged/pick a word.

We've got a maytag but found that with just the two of us, we'd run out of dishes before the unit was filled. We still do dishes by hand 95% of the time.

One person's opinion
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I got the LG LDF5545ST, seemed like a decent mid range unit that would do.
    That's one hell of a dishwasher (imho)

I put everything but cast iron in my dishwasher, except I don't put my carving / utility knives in it. I just have cheap knives, but still I wash them by hand. Your dishwasher doesn't appear to be energy efficient, and that's a good thing, as energy efficient dishwashers don't dry very well. I run the hot water until it gets hot before starting the dishwasher, that way it gets hot water from the start. Probably the best advice I can offer is use quality dishwasher soap. Reason being is that your glassware will be dull if you don't, cheap soap leaves soap scum / spots.

Enjoy your extra time on your hands, that means more saddle time on your bad motor scooter
    85 78

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    My only advice is to make sure you have plenty of everyday silverware and dinnerware so it can get fully loaded before running.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Lessee.... what doesn't go in the dishwasher....

Fine edges. My good knives (including food processor blades) never go in the dishwasher.)
    Wooden cutting boards.
    Bare cast iron.
    Crystal, & good beer glasses.

Otherwise, just about anything that fits will go in.

I've ran 3-4 loads through it, it's discolored some cookie sheets (spots) but otherwise seems to be doing a good job. Ran a stainless tea kettle through it, looks good.......reminds me - the coffee pot is going in the next one.

This last load, I thought "that doesn't smell very good" and was reminded of some random dishwasher reviewer who complained about a plastic-y smell............... the mystery was solved when I removed 2 perforated pizza screens I've used to cold smoke cheese.
    Last edited by Clint; 02-13-2018 at 05:08 PM.

TVWBB Fan
    Dulling or fogging glass ware is from too much detergent,I run a water softener and have to decrease detergent to stop it and so that it rinses properly,I put stainless pots and pans in with no ill affects,also knifes but they can be dulled some say but I cant verify that happens.rinse aid helps dry dishes but plastic will always have problems drying

The only thing that'll hurt a knife in there is if you place them where the blade can knock against something else. I put even my VERY expensive knives in mine (except for the ones that are not stainless but pure carbon steel) and have NEVER seen an issue. Ruining glassware is operator error NOT a dishwasher issue. Too much or poor quality detergent being the culprit. IF you have soft water use no more than half the amount in the directions. EVen the least energy efficient one is still WAY more efficient than hand washing. Most machines use 3 gallons or less of water to do a load so the myth you have to wait for full loads is just that.................a myth. Most units have a light load setting and that setting uses even less energy and hot water. Those of you who enjoy standing at a sink wasting water well hey that's your prerogative. Me? I have better things to do with my time than stand at a sink :-) Heck there really isn't even a need to run hot water because the machines have water heaters built in it just takes longer for the cycle to run if you don't "prime" the system by running hot water. I rarely bother with that step and even my piece of junk Electrolux (another story on that) will still do a fine job even on quick cycle which only uses 2.5 gal. I defy ANYONE to tell me they can do a load of dishes by hand for less than 2.5 gal of water.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast