Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: My first dishwasher

Hi all

I want to buy a dishwasher https://dishwasherfaq.com/best-dishw...or-hard-water/ in the $500 range or lower. What are some key features I should be looking at? Any recommended brands over others?

Doesn't need to be water efficient
    Doesn't need to be whisper quiet as it's not open floor plan
    Last edited by Gabriel Marcos; Yesterday at 05:57 AM.

Stay far away from brands associated with Frigidaire (Electrolux, Kenmore) total junk made in China. Same with GE (made by Haier) more Chinese junk. Stick more with brands from Whirlpool (Whirlpool, Amana, JennAire), can't go wrong with Bosch, and Samsung is a good choice.
    Another thing to watch out for. They typically use one of 2 methods to dry. They either vent steam into the room (and under your cabinet). This is "ok" unless you have laminate counters with particle board substrate. The steam will destroy it (ask me how I know).
    The second method is condensation drying (which I prefer) since no steam is released under your cabinets. It works by allowing moisture on the dishes to condense and fall away into the bottom of the unit where the pump will expel it to the drain.
    It works GREAT except if you have hard water "no bueano" it will spot and fog. You can use a "sheeting" or Rinse Agent such as Jet Dry and it will help but not completely. I have come to prefer just putting these https://cascadeclean.com/en-us/produ...cs-lemon-scent in my machine. I just put one packet into the dispenser and it contains everything. Dishes come clean, no hazing or spots and I don't need any other things. Just one packet and it works.
    For your price range all the recommended brands I mentioned have models available. The biggest differences being number of cycles and noise produced. FWIW even in the lowest priced models Bosch will be about the quietest you can buy, most effective and have condensate dry method. BTW you mention not needing a quiet machine because of the open floor plan, well, that is precisely why you'd want a quieter machine. Nothing is worse than listening to a noisy machine grinding away while you try to watch TV. Honestly I would go Bosch. BTW I know you mentioned not needing it but they're also VERY efficient. Typically only needing less than 4 gal water to do a load
    There ya go!
    Last edited by LMichaels; 11-06-2019 at 06:12 AM.

I concur with everything Larry said. Personally, we have a Whirlpool, can't remember the model #. It's been great, quiet, efficient, dishes dry well. Cleans everything I have put in it, including some pretty nasty dishes and pots.

This is a good time of year to shop for a dishwasher. Most, if not all retailers will be having November sales.
    (AH)-Black, ThermaPen Classic-Red, Weber 6707 Deluxe Tool Set, Weber 6645 Travel Tool Set, Weber 6469 Premium Grilling Rack

I was interested in one that had a garbage disposal in it but the guy @ lowes said it was just another part to break. I still like the idea of having a food chopper in the bottom.

My Bosch is working well, I liked the display on the LG better.

Stay away from the food chopper ones. Had one like that some years back and that was what failed and it blew water all over my kitchen. On the Bosch there is an easy to clean filter that works just fine. So big deal once every 3 or 4 mos if your careless about scraping dishes off you have to clean it.
    I forgot to mention stay far away from LG appliances as well. Bought a $1200 gas range and find out it's junk. Finish is bubbling off the cook top, oven is useless. Says it's convection but convection fan rarely turns on when it's used, The oven is vented in such a way that anything on top of the stove will become super heated and DANGEROUS to touch, Total utter piece of garbage. And if you call LG for "warranty" they treat you like a second rate criminal. BTW they do this with their electronics as well as I had an LG G6 cell phone with so called 2 year warranty. A promotion that LG advertised as a way to garner customers away from rival Samsung. Mine had issues under warranty the first year. Sent it to them. They returned it no fully fixed, called them again re additional issues and they refused to respond or honor their own warranty. Thankfully AT&T stood by me and sent me a new Samsung S8 to replace it.
    Last edited by LMichaels; 11-07-2019 at 07:37 AM.

I wouldn't buy an LG if it was the last thing at the store. We have had LG appliances before, and will never, NEVER have them again. They are the worst.
    (AH)-Black, ThermaPen Classic-Red, Weber 6707 Deluxe Tool Set, Weber 6645 Travel Tool Set, Weber 6469 Premium Grilling Rack

TVWBB Fan
    I agree with Larry and KE, don’t buy LG. I bought a $900 LG dishwasher and had three service calls on it under warranty. Two months after the warranty ran out it died. $600 to fix it so I scrapped it. Never washed the dishes properly and had to dry them by hand as you unloaded it. On top of that, if you are handy yourself, you cannot fix them as they will only sell parts to a dealer after they setup a service call for you through that dealer. (At least here in Canada) I have lots of LG electronics that I love, but will never buy their products again. Sorry for the rant! Richard.

My most recent DW has bottle jets (GE) Nice feature for travel mugs, bottles etc.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I have a manual one and unless I’m really drunk, I do a pretty good job.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910