Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My first dishwasher

I ran the blade & processor bowl/chute through the dishwasher before I left, came home & straight from the dishwasher (perfectly clean & dry). I ran 8 oz of the same cheese but from a new block & it came out as expected, then I took a ~6 oz block remainder & ran it through - it shredded finer & balled up on top of the blade, so the freezer time affected this particular cheese. I saved the regular stuff & made nachos with the rest.

Yes freezing does change the molecular of any cheese. Meat too. One reason why I never freeze any meat other than burgers and even then I will not eat them. Wife does. She can't tell the difference. But, I can. I find the texture change of any protein enough to put me off eating it

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    Yes freezing does change the molecular of any cheese. Meat too. One reason why I never freeze any meat other than burgers and even then I will not eat them. Wife does. She can't tell the difference. But, I can. I find the texture change of any protein enough to put me off eating it
    I like to freeze bacon if it's going to take a while to get around to cooking it. It seems completely unaffected by freezing.

Yep, bacon is one of those things that can get away with it. There is a meat packer out here (Eichman's) that sells outstanding product. They supply many of the fine steak houses and so on. Well unless you place an order if you just walk it everything they sell is "flash" frozen and vacuum sealed. Oddly enough if not allowed to thaw until just prior to cooking that meat is fantastic. So while I don't freeze meat myself I will buy it packed that way. I have experimented with attempting a good freeze myself. One technique I did find that works ALMOST as well is to freeze the meat product unwrapped on a rack so air can circulate. Then remove the meat and fully wrap it frozen. I heard this allows a faster and harder freeze so the ice crystals don't effect the meat as much. But while "better" I still dislike it

You're right, it's my understanding that flash freezing minimizes formation of big ice crystals which do most of the damage in frozen foods. Then storing in a chest freezer at a constant temp also helps, unlike a frost-free freezer where the temp cycles up/down each day.

Yeah I do not have (nor do I want) a dedicated chest freezer. I have just never been big on buying huge quantities of foods and doing the freezer stash thing. I have a grocery only a mile from the house anyway, a Sam's 2 miles or so, and various other warehouse and grocery stores in a 20 minute drive distance. So I don't feel any need to do the "larder thing". Maybe if I decided to buy a large part of an animal from one of the many farmers around here that sell like that. But, here too, I want the cuts of meat I WANT not a whole bunch of parts I really don't want to cook

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345