Smoked Beef Sandwiches

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Saw this recipe a couple of weeks ago and wanted to give it a try. Got a very nice eye of round roast and made some crusty rolls. Here's a few pic's of the cook

The roast was right around 3.5 lbs. Not much fat to trim but they left a lot of silver skin and it took a while to get rid of that.

enhance

I injected the roast with vegetable stock, powdered beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. The rub consisted of fresh minced thyme, rosemary and garlic, Cattleman's Grill Tri-Tip Seasoning and olive oil.

enhance

Got it on my 18 WSM running at 250. Pecan chunks for smoke.

enhance

enhance

Let a couple of red bells roast up.

enhance

Here's the rolls I made for the sandwiches.

enhance

The roast took just over an hour and a half. Pulled it at 125.

enhance

enhance

Just the way I like them.

enhance

Nope, not vanilla ice cream. This is the horseradish spread for the sandwiches. Cream Cheese, prepared horseradish and some grated Asiago Cheese. I've not been able to find decent hot horseradish up here. That stuff from Beaver is laughable from a heat perspective. I like that take your breath away, flaming hot stuff you get in a good restaurant with your Prime Rib. On a whim, I tried Trader Joes. Jackpot!! Best horseradish I've ever found in the store. Used that.

enhance

After a rest on the counter I sliced the roast in half to make it easier to get on the slicer. You can see some of the injection left in the meat.

enhance

Topped the slices with everything in the drip pan.

enhance

Made up the sandwiches with the spread on the bottom, then some nice leaf lettuce, the meat topped with the fire roasted peppers.

enhance

enhance

These sandwiches were really good. Loved the rub and the sandwich spread. We have a lot left over. It's going to be beef dips tonight. Have a good week everyone and thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Wow, Cliff! Great stuff! PM me that crusty roll recipe.....those look great. Silly me, I usually just make this cut into jerky. :)

R

These sandwiches were really good. Loved the rub and the sandwich spread. We have a lot left over. It's going to be beef dips tonight. Have a good week everyone and thanks for looking.
I was wondering when we were going to see that roast. I've been pulling my roasts off at 135, but I like yours at 125, I think that's going to be my new target IT, gonna have to give that Trader Joes horseradish a try, sounds pretty dang good

Nicely done Cliff, enjoy the "leftovers"

Alright Cliff!
This is a cook I’ve been hoping to see! Eye of round roasts are always going on sale around here and every time I do one they need to be turned into tire patches! Now that I have a smoker and a slicer, I’m going to have to give this a try! Wife’s son will be happy as a clam with it as will I, the rest of the family maybe less so but, hey once in a while it’s got to be about the guys, right?

If you ever get a chance to try “Yoder’s” horseradish, it’s pretty darned good, made in Indiana and sold in the refrigerated section, might not be available out there but, if you ever...

Last edited:
Oh my. This is beautiful! I just so happen to have two beautiful eye rounds from Costco in my fridge. Any other favorite woods to use with it? Not sure I have any pecan left, and I have a ton of others that I need to burn.

Excellent cook Cliff, looks absolutely perfect. Barb and I do the same thing with beef roasts, just posted one we did a few days ago. Nothing better than a thin sliced beef sammie using the leftover beef especially if it's a beef dip one.
I always inject my pork butts but have never tried injecting a beef roast, will definitely do that the next time I do one.

Thank you all for your comments. Greatly appreciated.

If you ever get a chance to try “Yoder’s” horseradish.

I will keep an eye out for this Timothy. Don't recall seeing it but I see Walmart carries it.

Any other favorite woods to use with it? Not sure I have any pecan left, and I have a ton of others that I need to burn.

I think any of the fruit woods would do well Dan. Just depends on your tastes however.

Back