Dust off your old bread machine...

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
and give this bread a try.
Ran across this recipe awhile back and my 9th loaf is in the machine as I type.
It's just a darn good white bread that hasn't failed me yet.
The instructions are unorthodox, but follow them anyhow.
Adjustments/notes after reading several reviews:
increase the salt to 1.5 tsp. instead of 1 tsp (adjust if using K-salt)
white AP flour works fine, I mainly use unbleached
bread machine yeast is AFAIK is the same as rapid rise
pretty much any oil will work (I used garlic olive oil once, the smell when baking was wonderful, but the garlic taste was pretty tame.)
If you try it, please let us know your opinion.

Best Bread Machine Bread

Figures, I just threw out our bread machine because we needed the space and haven't used it in about 10 years.

C'mon RIch. Crusty bread done in a D.O. beats "soft" bread any day of the week ;)

No offense intended Bob :D
None taken Len, I expected the bread making police to show up on this thread. :p
Truth be told, at least with my old Sunbeam machine, the crust is very nice and crusty.
A thick slice or two for French toast is also excellent!!
I did my time years ago with sourdough bread making, too lazy these days.

I can understand that Bob. As much as I love s.d. bread, I don't make it because I don't want to be a slave to maintaining the starter.

Thanks for the info Bob. I bought my wife a bread machine 15 to 18 years ago. She used it several times. I've never used it. It's in storage right now. As you suggest, I might dust it off and give it a go. i like doing different things. The B & B we go to in Oregon serves up the Innkeeper's bread in the morning. He makes it all in a bread machine and we've had some pretty tasty bread from him.

I've got one of those bread machines somewhere around here. Will have to find it, and give this a go. It's been awhile, a long while

I've got one of those bread machines somewhere around here. Will have to find it, and give this a go. It's been awhile, a long while
Ours had been stored in the basement for several years, now it stays topside.
This morning's McBob on my latest loaf:

Looks like a nice loaf Bob.

I think the biggest issue is not that the machine doesn't do a good job. It does. It's just that it's so much easier for people who don't have the time to just buy their "gummy" loaf from the store and it's done.

It's us retired guys who have the time to "go back in time" and do it the old fashioned (or in your case, the "new fashioned" ;) ) way. Whatever you can do to eliminate the extra chemicals is good.

You do use unbleached flour don't you? AND not all unbleached flours are the same. Don't believe the titles.

Look at the ingredients on your unbleached flour bag. If it lists azodicarbonamide as an ingredient, walk away and find another brand. They claim it's a dough enhancer but it is also a bleaching agent. The same stuff they put into yoga plastic/rubber exercise mats.

Your flour should be a creamy yellow colour. If it's white, find a different brand. Off my soapbox (bread box?) now :rolleyes:

C'mon RIch. Crusty bread done in a D.O. beats "soft" bread any day of the week ;)

No offense intended Bob :D

Agree with that Len, but I really need to make some bread. The problem is like I've posted before I love Barb dearly but it's like living with Nanook of the North. Barb likes the house much cooler than I do. The thermostat is set at 50 degrees at night and 64 in the daytime, makes it very difficult to keep a starter going or even get it started.
I know I've tried numerous times.

Some have suggested a heated proofing box. Not a bad idea but really don't want to spend upwards of $50-60 for a thermostatically controlled heater just to make a starter then find some place to keep it.

I think Bobs on to something, I remember when we did use the bread machine it made some pretty good loafs of bread and the best part was you knew what was in it.

Last edited:
Use your oven as a proofing box Rich. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and place a loaf or cake pan in the bottom of the oven. Place the container of dough on the middle rack and pour 3 cups of boiling water into the pan. Close the oven door and allow the dough to rise as instructed. If you limit the time that the oven door is open, the proof box can be used for both the first and second rise without the need to refresh the water. https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6398-turning-your-oven-into-a-proof-box

Thanks for the recipe, Bob! Don't tell Cliff, but I've been known to use the bread machine from time to time.......when you want homemade bread, but you don't have the time to fuss over our fancy-schmancy "artisan" loaves (tongue firmly in cheek here......and I'm a fastidious fusser!!!), the bread machine is great! Dump in your ingredients, press start, come back later......bread! :)

I prefer the more complex flavors of my naturally leavened sourdough loaves, but sometimes ya can't beat the machine!!

Use your oven as a proofing box Rich. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and place a loaf or cake pan in the bottom of the oven. Place the container of dough on the middle rack and pour 3 cups of boiling water into the pan. Close the oven door and allow the dough to rise as instructed. If you limit the time that the oven door is open, the proof box can be used for both the first and second rise without the need to refresh the water. https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6398-turning-your-oven-into-a-proof-box

Thanks for the tips Dwain. That would work okay for a short rise but I made the "No knead Bread" yesterday the simple four ingredient one from the Breadtopia site which requires a 12 -18 hour slow rise. I put the Maverick probe in the oven and with the door closed it settled in at about 76-78 degrees with just the oven light on which worked perfect.
I got my bread fix and Barb and I almost devoured the whole loaf with some soup I made in the indoor Weber slow cooker. For a non starter bread it was pretty good.
I also pulled the recipe that you use with your home brew and will give that a try next.

I tried the recipe yesterday and it turned out great. We are very happy with the texture and taste. In fact, we decided to try it again today only this time we're adding cheese. We love fresh baked bread and this recipe is really simple and easy to use. Thanks for posting it!

Well, I haven't dug out our bread machine yet but I did do some sandwich bread this week. I baked it in a Pullman Pan and got a wonderful little loaf. Made with unbleached AP flour, milled flaxseeds and some wheat bran. It's called Pane di Lino or Ground Flaxseed Bread.

Steve,
Glad you liked the bread.
Hope the cheese loaf turns out well, I'll have to try that next time.

Cliff,
Your bread sounds almost healthy, bet is was still good though. :)

Last edited:
Wish I still had a bread machine. I’ve been using the Cook’s Illustrated Almost No Knead recipe quite a bit lately because it uses my Homebrew as an ingredient. https://breadtopia.com/cooks-illustrated-almost-no-knead/

Dwain, tried the Cook's almost no knead bread. My son is the west coast manager for Bear Republic brewery so i used a pilsner from that brewery. Bread came out fantastic definitely a keeper and super easy to make. Great crust and tasty crumb.
39655064484_2c5bd430ae.jpg
[/url]100_2421 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've been making this bread on a regular basis now.
Sometimes with bleached flour, but mostly unbleached.
Lately I've been adding one of those packets of breakfast instant oats, replacing that amount of flour.
Not much more nutritional value, but adds a bit more fiber and texture. No failures yet.
Got another loaf going in the machine right now, using butter instead of oil, a first for me.

Must be bread making day Barb and I are making four loafs of Cook's almost no knead bread today.

Back