Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust off your old bread machine...

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    Use your oven as a proofing box Rich. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and place a loaf or cake pan in the bottom of the oven. Place the container of dough on the middle rack and pour 3 cups of boiling water into the pan. Close the oven door and allow the dough to rise as instructed. If you limit the time that the oven door is open, the proof box can be used for both the first and second rise without the need to refresh the water. https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...to-a-proof-box

Thanks for the recipe, Bob! Don't tell Cliff, but I've been known to use the bread machine from time to time.......when you want homemade bread, but you don't have the time to fuss over our fancy-schmancy "artisan" loaves (tongue firmly in cheek here......and I'm a fastidious fusser!!!), the bread machine is great! Dump in your ingredients, press start, come back later......bread!

I prefer the more complex flavors of my naturally leavened sourdough loaves, but sometimes ya can't beat the machine!!

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    Wish I still had a bread machine. I’ve been using the Cook’s Illustrated Almost No Knead recipe quite a bit lately because it uses my Homebrew as an ingredient. https://breadtopia.com/cooks-illustr...most-no-knead/

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwain Pannell View Post
    Use your oven as a proofing box Rich. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and place a loaf or cake pan in the bottom of the oven. Place the container of dough on the middle rack and pour 3 cups of boiling water into the pan. Close the oven door and allow the dough to rise as instructed. If you limit the time that the oven door is open, the proof box can be used for both the first and second rise without the need to refresh the water. https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...to-a-proof-box
    Thanks for the tips Dwain. That would work okay for a short rise but I made the "No knead Bread" yesterday the simple four ingredient one from the Breadtopia site which requires a 12 -18 hour slow rise. I put the Maverick probe in the oven and with the door closed it settled in at about 76-78 degrees with just the oven light on which worked perfect.
    I got my bread fix and Barb and I almost devoured the whole loaf with some soup I made in the indoor Weber slow cooker. For a non starter bread it was pretty good.
    I also pulled the recipe that you use with your home brew and will give that a try next.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12