Big Beef Bones

Bill D-NC

TVWBB Pro
I have to thank Lynn Dollar. He did those short ribs last week and I just could not get those pictures out of my head.

So, I pulled a couple of racks of Chuck Ribs out and rubbed them down with some of Rod Gray's Most Powerful Stuff yesterday.

Here they are getting ready to go on the 26er with the Slow 'n Sear.

IMG_2212.md.jpg

Here we are about two hours in. Starting my apple juice spritz.

IMG_2215.md.jpg

Here we are 5½ hours into the cook with an IT of 180º.

IMG_2219.md.jpg

I pulled them and dropped them into individual zip lock bags with some apple juice and then into a cooler, covered with a big towel, to transport them over to my parents' house for dinner. I'll finish them off in the oven over there.

BD

Last edited:
Lotsa room on the 26, and those ribs look great .

Just one problem, I'm male :)

Ya know, I never think about my first name being gender neutral. Even if its something I've dealt with all my life. I've gotten mail addressed to Mrs Lynn Dollar since I was in high school. I'm a " Jr " , sooo I probably need to start adding that to my name.

Bill, those look just about like I’m ready to eat them!
Lynn,
My banjo players father’s name is Lyn, short for Lynwood.
I’m sure that might be why he named his sons “Rock” and “Dirk”
No issues with those names!
Rocky is one helluva picker! I’m a lucky guy and I know it!

Oh, you're not the first, not by a long shot .. and won't be the last :) .

I'm a bit of a WW II buff, and the name Lynn was common among soldiers in WW II. My Grandad named my Dad Lynn back in 1922. But somehow over the past 70 to 80 years, its become more common as a feminine name.

But also, the name Francis was a common male name in WW II. Course, there's Frances Scott Key . But today, ya don't see any young people named Frances. Funny, how names cycle.

Oh, you're not the first, not by a long shot .. and won't be the last :) .

I'm a bit of a WW II buff, and the name Lynn was common among soldiers in WW II. My Grandad named my Dad Lynn back in 1922. But somehow over the past 70 to 80 years, its become more common as a feminine name.

But also, the name Francis was a common male name in WW II. Course, there's Frances Scott Key . But today, ya don't see any young people named Frances. Funny, how names cycle.

I got stuck with a middle name I never cared for. Also am a junior. At any rate... I researched the name & at the time there was a "royal" naming thing going around. That's how you get "Duke", "Earl", "Count", "Leroy" & etc. Kinda died out by the 50s.

The bones are looking good! How did they turn out?

Last edited:
Here ya' go Robert . . .

So, many of you know that I try to do a big dinner every weekend for my parents, sisters, B-i-Ls, daughter, niece, etc. Many times I start things at home and finish them over there. So, to pick up where we left off:

When I got over there, I put the two racks on a foil wrapped baking sheet, with the juices, and covered them with some more foil. I popped them into a 300º for about an hour to bring them up to around 203º IT.

IMG_2221.md.jpg

Here we are, plated, with some fresh collards, crispy rice, and niblets.

IMG_2223.md.jpg

Fortunately, there was one left, so I brought it home my GF to take in for lunch tomorrow.

BD

Those are big meaty ribs.

I definitely want to do this cook again, and my first step to improvement, is buying better ribs.

Mighty fine beef ribs. I've never been able to get big beef ribs to come out nice, I've had good luck with short ribs though. If you get your hands on some short ribs, give them a shot, I think you'll be equally happy if not happier with them

Hey Chuck, I think the main difference between these and short ribs is which part of the rib cage they come from. The Chuck Ribs I cooked, I believe, come from farther forward, around the brisket areas of the cow. From what I understand, short ribs come from further down the rib cage.

I've seen short ribs in 2"-3" pieces, some with bones and some boneless. Assuming that the meat department actually cuts them on site, I guess I could get an intact rack of them. But, as long I can keep my Restaurant Depot membership going, I'll probably stick with the Chuck Ribs.

BD

Back