All Natural Hardwood Briquettes without Wood Chunks

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Has anyone ever tried smoking meat with all natural hardwood briquettes without adding wood chunks. If so,
was there some smokiness to the meat?

Hello BruceS,

Here is the issue of truth in advertising????? If I knew where the briquettes were produced, one might have a clue as to what wood was used. I spent about 12 years in Springfield, OR. Kingsford made briquettes there. The predominate trees are pine. To me it added a pine taste to meat.:(

I'll add hardwood chunks to hardwood charcoal and keep the fingers crossed. The amount of wood chunks is important to the smokey taste. If you can cut your own hardwood........what a lucky person you are.

CraigH in La Pine,

I haved cooked turkeys over Royal Oak lump & it's smokey. Have done a couple with no water pan/drip pan just let it drip on coals. That makes it kinda bitter to me.

Most hardwood charcoal is going to have some un-carbonized wood in it no matter how good it is, so you will get some smoke flavor. It probably won't be a ton.

Hello BruceS,

Here is the issue of truth in advertising????? If I knew where the briquettes were produced, one might have a clue as to what wood was used. I spent about 12 years in Springfield, OR. Kingsford made briquettes there. The predominate trees are pine. To me it added a pine taste to meat.:(

I'll add hardwood chunks to hardwood charcoal and keep the fingers crossed. The amount of wood chunks is important to the smokey taste. If you can cut your own hardwood........what a lucky person you are.

CraigH in La Pine,

Pine is a softwood, not suited for making briquettes or lump but great for building houses.

Tim

I like a light amount of smoke and yes, using hardwood charcoal will give you some smokiness. You'd be better off using hardwood lump but either will give you some. Having said that, even someone like me who likes very little smoke noticed that when I do ribs, some hickory chunks make a huge difference. For me, ribs need that bit of hickory to taste right.

Back