Added to the Weber family

Scott P.

TVWBB Super Fan
I have owned my 18.5" WSM since 2006. For the one cook off per year that I do and for our annual crawfish boil and BBQ, I have had to borrow a neighbor's 22" WSM. That got old, so I found a used 22" WSM on the intertubes for $180. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but it's the best price i have seen. It's in good shape, just needs a good cleaning. I'll probably still use my 18.5" as a primary unit, but the 22 can come out for higher capacity cooks or if I get a couple of bigger briskets.

Now I just have to decide if I want to add a temperature control to it. I have a Stoker II for my current WSM, so I just need a blower, adapter and probes to add my 22". But, damn it is expensive. $230 just for those parts. That is a lot for a cooker that is used a few times per year. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my Stoker and think I can't operate without one. I've used my neighbor's without one for briskets and ribs before. I think I'd rather spend the money on extra racks to boost capacity on the big beast.

And It always blows me away when I see how small the 18.5" one looks when compared to its big brother.

Congrats on your find. That's a real good price for a 22.5. I'd cook on it without the Stoker for awhile just to get the hang of it and then decide if I wanted to spend the money. In the WSM world Poppa Bear is really big. It makes the 14.5 (Baby Bear) look like a Fisher Price toy.:wsm:

Back