The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: My 18" is leaking like a sieve!

My 18" is leaking like a sieve!

Purchased a used 18 ( My first WSM) and just had it shipped to me. Set it up today and the base wouldnt fit, the top wouldnt fit. Finally got the center section as round as I can but it is leaking like a sieve! Temp is hot with all vents closed because it is leaking to bad. Called Weber and so far they are not of any help. Any suggestions how to get it so it doesnt leak so bad, or how to get it round????

You can get everything back to round. Measure the diameter of the lid, center body(top and bottom), and charcoal bowl in multiple places and mark the widest point on each diameter with masking tape. Apply a Quik Clamp or bar clamp across the marked diameter and pull it in to 1/4" to 1/8" less than your desired diameter. Repeat the process until everything is round. After several cooks the WSM will get gunked up and seal better. I hope that's clear.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" & 22.5" WSM, 1998 22" Performer with Vortex, Auber ATC. CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

TVWBB Super Fan
    Why didn't you bring it back to the store f you bought it new and the parts are not fitting?

Other than that, most WSM leak initially, especially via the door. The door can quite easily be bend in shape.
    Is it leaking on the door or via the sections?
    Maybe some strips of seal (heatproof felt) help (the same stuff they use for kamado's, hearths etc)

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne M. View Post
    Why didn't you bring it back to the store f you bought it new and the parts are not fitting?
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenF View Post
    Purchased a used 18 ( My first WSM) and just had it shipped to me.
    His first line says he bought it used. Shouldn't expect ANY help from Weber (why should they?) other than selling him replacement parts.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

TVWBB Super Fan
    Sorry Len and Stephen:
    I read straight over the used part. My mistake...

In that case I would be looking at getting it back into shape as Lew describes and if it still leaks, then looking at nomex gasket tape on/around the places it still leaks (just remembered the name)

Whatever happened with FedEx?
    26.75" x 2, Vintage 22", 22.5", 18.5", 14.5"