Stainless Grates

JeffSBBQ

Good evening everyone. Looking to get some advise on some stainless grates for my Genesis E310. The cast iron grates have rusted out and I am looking to replace with stainless. I have narrowed down to 2 choices...

1. Rcplanebuyer has them for $140 + 35 shipping for 3/8 304 stainless.

2. On ebay there is a pair of 9mm 304 stainless grates for $98 shipping included from bbqpartsfactory.

If anyone has purchased the bbqpartsfactory grates I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the material used and the quality of workmanship. Trying to determine if the RC grates are worth the $75 extra.

Thanks

I think the spacing on RC's grates is a little tighter and it's 304SS unlike the others where the spacing can fit a T-Bone between the rods and are 430SS

I think your pick would depend on how long you intend to keep the grill. If you plan on keeping it a decade or more then go with the rcplanebuyer grates. They are the absolute best. If it's a short term deal the other grates will probably work fine.

I'm pretty sure that's just RCPlanebuyer as well. I bought his bars and grates and love them.

Yes, I totally agree that this CL listing is, in fact, Dave Santana - known as rcplanebuyer on eBay. He is a great guy to work with and a true friend of grill restorers.

I think the advice of whether this is a short term vs long term need is spot on. If you hope to keep for the long run, go with Dave. Contact him directly. I or several others can give you his email. Be sure to reference TVWBB and not eBay. He can probably save you some then. If you are just thinking a few years, I would look for a used set of OEM Weber stainless grates. Not as good as Dave’s but adequate and will last a long time if not abused. If you are thinking that way, let me know by private message. I might have a set waiting for cleanup in my bulging parts bin I could sell reasonably.

FYI: Dave prefers to have people contact him though the SF craigslist adds.
THis is from Dave: "I post listings for all my bars and grates on Craig's List in San Francisco area. Just have them search for "Weber flavor bars" and look for the listing in Burlingame."

Bruce,
Thanks for that helpful info. I had thought he wanted to be emailed, but using Craigslist makes perfect sense as a way to advertise and sell without having to give so much to eBay. I will recommend that from now on.

I'm pretty sure that's just RCPlanebuyer as well. I bought his bars and grates and love them.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I finally got a reply from the bbqpartsfactory on ebay and found their grates are made in China and have 15 bars with 5/8" space between each bar. The grates from Dave have 16 bars with .49 inches between each bar. Well worth the extra $75 to get the USA made stuff. I contacted Dave through the CL ad and bought from him. Will post up some photos when they arrive.

Yeah 5/8" is a joke. You could drop and entire T-Bone through those grates. BTW if that is Dave he's not responded to my messaging him through that ad. We'll waot and see.

Yah, I emailed Dave and asked if he was OK with me PM'ing his email address and he said it was OK, but he preferred they use CL as it provideds him with an anonymous email method I assume.

I agree there is no comparison on the quality of the RCPlanebuyer grates compared to anyone else. But, at $75 difference, you might be better off with the cheaper stuff if you don't plan on keeping the grill for a long time. Heck, I am so cheap, I bought his 13 Flavorizer bar set but am just using an old set of Weber pressed steel grates on my Genesis 1000. I can't justify the outlay for Dave's grates right now, but at some point, I will have them.

New grates from rcplanebuyer arrived yesterday. Workmanship cannot be beat. Transaction could not have gone better. I replied to his CL ad and he got back to me later that day and and sent some pictures of the grates and his phon number to call if I had any questions. I gave hime a call to ask about the bar spacing and discuss shipping options. The grates were shipped the day after I paid.

HUIhZrf.jpg
[/IMG]

95qXS2V.jpg
[/IMG]

jncmVo5.jpg
[/IMG]

wGOiBxW.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Yep, he is the best. What a seriously nice grate!

Larry,
I would give Dave another chance. He has always been responsive and probably just didn't realize he failed to get back to you.

Jon

There's a $15 off $75 promo code on eBay tonight that is good until 10pm Eastern time: PONLYONAPP

I've used it once before to buy these grates. With the promo code, the grates end up being even cheaper than buying directly.

Back