Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead Pi? 4.2 seems ok otherwise

Yep, the pads on the LCD are the same on the top and bottom.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    Yep, the pads on the LCD are the same on the top and bottom.
    Thanks, Steve. I'm going to have to build another one it looks like! 4.2.F (F for Frankenstein)

I was on my way to frankensteining a 4.2 when the 4.3 came out. The narrower profile of the 4.3 worked out better as wide footprint of the 4.2 would have made connections tight in the off the shelf waterproof case I wanted to use. The Pi Zero W was the icing on the cake for keeping the footprint to a minimum.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    I was on my way to frankensteining a 4.2 when the 4.3 came out. The narrower profile of the 4.3 worked out better as wide footprint of the 4.2 would have made connections tight in the off the shelf waterproof case I wanted to use. The Pi Zero W was the icing on the cake for keeping the footprint to a minimum.
    Yeah, I like that project of yours. I was reading the thread a couple of days ago. I'm thinking I can keep the single button and the display on the back side of a 4.2. It looks like I could drill right through the 4.2 HM board and miss the 12VDC+ leads between the button prongs. Worst case, I may have to just mount a 2-4 of the leads and lay the others flat and bring them back to the original location via wire. It also looks like I can flip the screen potentiometer to the other side of the board so that it can be adjusted instead of being stuck under the display. I'd think the whole thing would be about half the volume of my current HM, maybe a little more because it will be slightly thicker but it wouldn't even be headless! Headless lets it get really small.

Maybe I should go down that path and leave it on all the time. I could just integrate the whole thing into my BGE stand then and not worry about the size. I need to think about this some more. What sucks is I JUST replaced the 4 way button on my old 4.2 last night (I ordered half a dozen buttons years ago just in case) and it was a real PITA to take out and I was almost sure I ruined the board. That's what gave me the idea to move display to that location though so I guess had I not taken it out I never would have had that idea. Can I just use regular headphone extension cables for the regular probes and an old thermocouple wire for the TC to extend the TC out to an additional connector? If I can do that, I could do something really cool and not care about the size (I think). I could even remote the display and the button. Talk about scope creep... I'm falling victim to Bryan's signature line.

TVWBB Platinum Member Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    I've never tried extending the probe wires, but they are 2.5mm mono type so 3.5mm stereo definitely would not work. I think 2.5mm stereo might work possibly? I think it just grounds out the 3rd wire. And yeah TC wire can be used to extend the pit probe wires, as long as you use the right ones on each wire (because the two wires are different materials).
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    I've never tried extending the probe wires, but they are 2.5mm mono type so 3.5mm stereo definitely would not work. I think 2.5mm stereo might work possibly? I think it just grounds out the 3rd wire. And yeah TC wire can be used to extend the pit probe wires, as long as you use the right ones on each wire (because the two wires are different materials).
    Thanks, Bryan. I'll monkey around and see. I could also just use the HM Aux board and that might be a better way to try to do this. I started thinking about remoting the display as well and think I could do that over an old IDE cable. Or I'll just be happy to have two 4.2s up and running (nice to have a spare) both with the Zero W boards now. I upgraded my original one yesterday because those Zero Ws are so cheap and why use EoL boards if I don't have to? I really dig the way the /dl link lets you just configure the image with the WiFi. That's super slick!

TVWBB Platinum Member Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Thanks! I find it to be quite useful myself for testing even though I'm actually pushing the snapshot to the web server then re-downloading it. It is good for checking first-time installs without having to use the tiny monitor and second keyboard on my desk to configure it (or the extra wifi adapter in my desktop... wow I have a lot of extra hardware sitting on my desk).

As far as extending the LCD with long cable, isn't it easier to just buy a $39 Amazon Fire 7" tablet and run a browser on it? With the ubiquity of cheap tablets or old phones I'm not sure what the purpose of using a 2x16 character mode display would be apart from being a fun hack.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    Thanks! I find it to be quite useful myself for testing even though I'm actually pushing the snapshot to the web server then re-downloading it. It is good for checking first-time installs without having to use the tiny monitor and second keyboard on my desk to configure it (or the extra wifi adapter in my desktop... wow I have a lot of extra hardware sitting on my desk).

As far as extending the LCD with long cable, isn't it easier to just buy a $39 Amazon Fire 7" tablet and run a browser on it? With the ubiquity of cheap tablets or old phones I'm not sure what the purpose of using a 2x16 character mode display would be apart from being a fun hack.
    As much as I love controlling everything in my house from my phone--including HM, I thought it might be nice to have the HM securely mounted in my stand so that it's protected from the elements and then remote the probes, display, and 4 way button in a lexan box that would easily be out of the elements. The reality is that it would take a ton of time to do it and I don't think I'm really that motivated now that I'm on to an outdoor dining table (that will be the same stainless steel construction as the BGE stand). I still might come back to it though. You do make a good point though--if/when I do get around to it, I should certainly entertain a 4x16 display instead so I can see all of the probes at the same time. I think remoting the probes is the big bang for the buck here and the work is already done so I should probably just do that and build a new HM that supports the remote damper/probe board. Then I could still keep the HM hidden away and safe from the elements, it would clean up my stand when I'm smoking and I'm still going to be constantly watching it on at least two computers and my phone and probably a tablet so why do I really need the screen mounted at the BGE? Except for that nullifies my whole "it would be nice argument".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12