anybody into guitars?

Lewis B

TVWBB Fan
I am kicking the idea around of learning to play guitar. I am a music lover and really appreciate and marvel at an exceptional musician. I got my wife's blessing to purchase a guitar, more specifically a Gibson Les Paul. I looked at one today at guitar center that was absolutely beautiful! (link below) Pics do not do it justice. I sent pics to a couple of my friends who are musicians and both said to buy it! What say you? Any information or advice is very much appreciated. Thanks. Lew

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/2016-Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-II-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

I tried to learn the guitar twice, once around 10 years old, then again @ 20. I didn't try long enough, I never got beyond the basics (fingering was difficult, so was reading the music).

I started shopping saxophones a couple years ago, watching videos "push these 2 random keys for B, these other randoms for a C" and so on....and then I looked over at my keyboard & remembered the layout:

36-key-keyboard-chart.jpg

Long story short: I fully support your interest/pursuit! I admire artists of all kinds - whether keyboard, guitar, sports, painters, programmers, cooks, poets - you name it. No risk either - that guitar will retain its value.

I took lessons for about a year on classical guitar. Really enjoyed it and then I dragged a tree saw across the tip of my left index finger and that was that. I often think about it. My guitar is still in my closet. I’d go for it if I were you!

Last edited:
Do it! I've been playing for about 4 years now & it's a blast! There are a ton of resources out there to learn with. I've been primarily using a game/program called Rocksmith.
Oh, & if you get hooked, guitars are like bbq's. The correct # to own is always what you have, Plus one more...

Why not try something really cool and get a Chapman Stick? :) www.stick.com I play one of these and there are lots of resources and instructors that give Skype lessons, etc.

Hey Lewis, This is Brandon (Tim's son) here is my life lesson on my guitar journey.. My parents bought me my first guitar in 8th grade and I never looked back. It was a service merchandise Eric Clapton replica acoustic guitar with nylon and steel strings (more on this later). I am all self taught and have gone through the struggles of letting that guitar sit for days sometimes weeks at a time.

Now this is just my personal opinion YOU the player make the guitar!!! I highly recommend playing numerous guitars to figure out what neck feels best for your hands for playing chords and action you like for fingering. Gibson's as much as they are BEAUTIFUL guitars are stupid heavy and have a wide neck which can make fretting hard if you have smaller hands! That E.C. guitar I was talking about was a major reason I struggled. My hands aren't huge so it was hard for me to play my basic chords correctly which frustrated me and made me want to put the guitar down. After I struggled heavily yet learned roughly a dozen intros to songs on that acoustic my mom bought me a Sweet purple Washburn electric (roughly 200$) about a year later.
Looking back on it I think the salesman was selling me on what kind of music I listened to (Metal, Classic rock, Nu-metal, Blues..etc) I told him I was a Metallica fan and boom that purple Washburn came out. At first I judged the book by its cover. Purple guitar for a 13 year old boy that's girly right? WRONG!! That guitar was awesome! The action was sweet, the neck was thin, it was perfect for my hand, and I could play the songs much smoother. I don't know if that was intentional or not by the salesman, but that's what helped me continue playing. This can be a very expensive hobby yet can change your life for the better.

Music has got me through some tough times in life. It's fun, challenging, and expands your mind.

If I were to buy a guitar knowing what I know now this is what I would do.
I would start with a combo guitar/amp package. They vary in price ,but is a great way to see if your going to truly stick with it. Why pay upward of 1,000$ on a Gibson, PRS, Ibanez, etc.. if its just going to sit in the closet. When you struggle (which you will hahaha) your going to put the guitar down.If you like it and decide to stick with it then I would keep stopping at Guitar center or any music shop and just keep playing different guitars and amps. They don't charge you for that :).
Find the guitar that sings to you and you connect with that's comfortable , same thing with the amp. Otherwise you buy 8 guitars like me and numerous amps just because you think you want it but really don't need it :(. I am down to 2 electric guitars (PRS, ESP/LTD), 1 practice amp (micro cube), and one acoustic guitar ( Custom hand made Takamine).

I took my time with every purchase after I wised up. I hope this helps people from going through what I went though and spending extra $ when really its not needed. Do your research on guitars and amps, play them a lot before you buy them and keep with it! I am very grateful I did!!!

I can go on and on about this topic. If you want anymore info please feel free to ask. I love talking music and equipment just like smoking food and eating lol.

From Music land Montgomery IL LOL
Brandon

Last edited:
As I sit here typing, my Ovation Applause 12 string is literally 3 feet from my reach. I play every day, several times a day whenever the mood hits.

Just to echo some of what Brandon mentioned...Gibson, great guitars, but I don't like them. Buying a guitar is like buying a pair of shoes...some fit, most don't. The reason I don't like Gibson's, and I am NOT trying to change your mind, just giving you more information, is the neck. I don't like the feel of it/them.

I've been playing guitar since 1971. I play Fenders. I have a 1976 Telecaster Deluxe that I've owned since 1976. I have a couple of Strats (1 Mexican Fat Strat and a Chinese Squire Strat that I've played for years that feels great). I have had over a dozen acoustics over the past 40 years, and I already mentioned my 12 string.

My point is the guitar you chose really has to have the right feel and sound you're looking for/that you enjoy most.

Guitar Center, as Brandon mentioned, welcomes anyone to come and play. I get into town about once a month and drop in a couple of music stores and play what they have. I've purchased a couple, but I've always returned them when I found we didn't make a great fit. Guitar Center has a really good long return policy so that's a plus.

Go to the music store and ask them about the shapes of the necks to get a feel for what type of neck feels best in your hand. IMO, necks are like gloves. They have to fit right to feel right.

Anything else guitar/music related feel free to drop a line at: homebrewer_99@yahoo.com. FWIW, I'm 63 and retired (8 years in June), so a reply should not require a long delay.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Brandon & Bill. I think seasoned players forget what its like to be a new guitar player. They forget that the mere act of a beginner just HOLDING a guitar is pretty awkward. Every electric is going to feel heavy to a new player. And to distinguish between a "D" or "C" shaped neck while playing a (clean) chord are BOTH something that only come with experience. They also forget how intimidating it can be just to walk into guitar center, let alone ask to plug in (especially when some 11 year old kid is sitting there, pumping out Panterra riffs... Perfectly!).
I think that the o.p. found a guitar that speaks to him - something that is going to call out to him from across the room. And that is half the battle - finding something he(!) WANTS to play. He's contemplating buying a used, name brand that should hold its value; he's not going to take a pounding if he decides guitar isn't for him & sells.
As a new player, he could definitely do worse. Alot worse. And only with experience will he be able to decide what "feels" right - for him.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and advice. It is all well received and appreciated. The reason for my choice of guitar is somewhat odd to most. I'm captured by the beauty of the instrument. It's going on a wall in my home. I want to learn to play & I have 2 young boys that (12 & 9) that love music as well. (12 y.o. wants me to take him to Def Leopard concert) so it will be there if they decide to pick it up as well.

I used to play quite a bit back in college. I rarely pick the thing up anymore. I've got a American built Fender Stratocaster and really junky, cheap acoustic I probably played more than anything. Any time I got to mess around with someone's Gibson, I liked it. They are shorter scale than Strats generally and seemed to me lower action and easier to play. I'm sure I could get my strat set up better. I've heard Les Pauls are heavy too, but they sure are beautiful!

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Brandon & Bill. I think that the o.p. found a guitar that speaks to him - something that is going to call out to him from across the room. And that is half the battle - finding something he(!) WANTS to play. He's contemplating buying a used, name brand that should hold its value; he's not going to take a pounding if he decides guitar isn't for him & sells. As a new player, he could definitely do worse. Alot worse. And only with experience will he be able to decide what "feels" right - for him.

I can agree with you on some level. My initial point was referring to the feel of the guitar. But I think he cleared it up pretty fast when he said he was going to hang it on the wall.

Sure, finger manipulation in the beginning is always weird and seemed damn near impossible no matter what guitar you learn on. But ease and joy of playing always comes back to the feel of the neck.

It was doubly weird for me being left handed and playing a right handed guitar. I couldn't save my soul if I had to play a left handed guitar. LOL!

On a personal note, shredding never impressed me on any level. If you like it fine, but it's not for me, or, more technically, my ear. I get more pleasure out of a single strum of a chord from George Strait than a whole recording by Yngwie Malmsteen. (Hot for Teacher and Highway Star makes so I Can't Drive 55! HAHA!)

Hey all, This is Brandon again. I do agree with Brian on certain points he stated as well. Brian makes some great points as well with asking about the shapes of the neck! I know it can be intimidating, but that comes with anything in life and putting yourself out there is what is going to make you gain confidence. I am not trying to steer you away from the Gibson Lew... I read a great article a couple months ago right here http://www.proaudioland.com/news/guitar-weight-effect-tone/ ..... This is a solid article about weight, tones, types of wood, and comfort which is what I was really trying to point out.
If the guitar is right and you can stand, sit, and play comfortably then by all means go for it. I am one who just disliked the Gibson body style for comfort when sitting and playing. It made it hard to comfortably strum with the higher arch curve. Also when Standing the gibson weighed in at 8.5 lbs... Doesn't sound heavy, but Lew if I were you and you want that bad boy ask for the most comfortable strap they have put it on and stand around with it for at least 10-15 min. See how that feels. Same thing with sitting down keep the strap on and tighten it up so it sits at practice level and play for 10-15 min.
I get you are new, but just strum, play individual notes , who cares what anyone else thinks. All guitar players had to start in your shoes just like me.
As much as some guitars hold value( typically rare older ones) that is not true for modern day guitars as much anymore bc they are typically all mass produced. The ones that truly hold value and increase in price are hand made and the price reflects that bc of hardware, type of wood, paint, etc..
I checked that model guitar out and it is a great price for the guitar you are getting.From the research I have done I see that style 2016 guitar going from anywhere from 1200-900 on ebay so you are getting a great deal as long as its clean. No big knicks, scratches, hardware is all in tact, should come with a case, and guitar is intonated correctly ( set up). If you are unsure but still think thats the guitar for you I'm 90% sure you can put it on hold/lay away at G.C.

As far as the Def Leopard concert I saw them in 2007 with Styx and Foreigner. Vivian Campbell was standing in as rhythm guitar ( main reason I wanted to see them). Sadly that show D.L. wasn't the best. It was an outdoor venue and everything just seemed off. Styx and Foreigner stole the show!! I go to roughly about a dozen concerts a year. I hope that sparks the musical influence in your boys!
Good luck with the purchase Lew and take some pics if you purchase that bad boy please!!
From geeetar land again, Brandon :cool:

Here's an example of what you can do if you choose an instrument that lets you use all your fingers. :)

I love music from the guitar, but don't play. However, I do have a burning question :)

Do different make and model guitars have different sounds or tone ? Or is the sound of a guitar totally determined by the musician adjusting tone and the amp ?

To me, Fender Telecasters have a unique sound, as do Gibson Les Pauls. I've always wondered if I'm actually hearing that or its something musician is doing.

I love music from the guitar, but don't play. However, I do have a burning question :)

Do different make and model guitars have different sounds or tone ? Or is the sound of a guitar totally determined by the musician adjusting tone and the amp ?

To me, Fender Telecasters have a unique sound, as do Gibson Les Pauls. I've always wondered if I'm actually hearing that or its something musician is doing.

Telecasters have single coil pickups most of the time. Gibson Les Pauls have humbucker pickups which are pickups with 2 coils wired out of phase to eliminate noise. This also eliminates some high frequencies. A tele will usually sound brighter. A Les Paul will have a beefier tone. A Tele also has a bolt on neck. Les Paul necks are glued I believe. There is however a lot that is in the fingers of the guitarist.

Telecasters have single coil pickups most of the time. Gibson Les Pauls have humbucker pickups which are pickups with 2 coils wired out of phase to eliminate noise. This also eliminates some high frequencies. A tele will usually sound brighter. A Les Paul will have a beefier tone. A Tele also has a bolt on neck. Les Paul necks are glued I believe. There is however a lot that is in the fingers of the guitarist.

I agree on your general notes, but there are ALWAYS exceptions. My '76 Fender Telecaster Deluxe has 2 humbuckers.

Another note to add, Tele's are also used a lot by strummer's in country bands. For instance, Springsteen uses one.

Yes, they all sound differently. That's why it's important to play them through an amp. There are a ton of guitar & amp pairings that sound good together. And adversely, some pairings that will never sound good. When you visit the music store you can always ask one of the sales people to play something so you can stand off an listen to the various sound combinations to get a better feel for a pairing. Or if you're aiming to emulate another player you can always find out what gear they are using if you like their sound.

Good luck.

Back