First and second smoke on the WSM

James A

The first run wasn't so great. Couldn't keep temps for nothing. Lot of wind and other difficulties.

Second run was tonight. Two baby's and a trimmed spare. Only got one pic, but man did they turn out tasty!

gAeeVao.jpg

Used some mesquite and sprinkled in some cherry. Outstanding flavor.

I think i'm going to like this thing quite a bit....

Last edited:
Q is a great disease to be afflicted with. The WSM makes it easier to learn than some other smokers. *** your cooker gets gunked up by more cooks temp control will get easier but the wind is still a problem. A wind shield helps with that.

Great looking ribs!! As others have said, once your WSM is..."seasoned" it will hold a steady temp a lot better. That, along with gained experience with your smoker will only make it easier for you. Once you get the hang of holding steady temps, try different methods; water in the pan vs a foiled pan. Different minion methods, higher temps vs cooking low and slow. Once you figure out what works best for you, you're hooked for life, but what a wonderful addiction it is!!!
Good luck,
Tim

Thanks everyone. I got the 18.5. I looked at the 22 and just couldn't justify it. It is the Mrs., myself and our dog Zoe. I usually cook for 2-4 at most with leftovers. After doing the three racks at a time this past weekend, I think we'll be good. And who knows... can always use another smoker ;)

Ah yeah, the pain of deciding to get the 22 or 18. I am going to get the 18 myself, but only because I already have a CharBroil Grill which has a firebox for stick burning.

I got lucky in one way, my brother decided that he no longer had any interest in smoking (other than Winston’s, darn it)
So, I have been the recipient of his maybe five year old 22! I picked up an 18 from a forum member who was fabulous to work with! I have yet to fire the big guy, the 18 has served really well but, I will be doing a 20 passenger birthday party for my grandchildren and I’m planning on using it then, I need to do a practice run just to see the temp difference between the two. Good God, I love to cook on these things! I haven’t had the 18 a full year yet but, man, it is a ball to use. I think the 18 is the better size for me most of the time for 6-8 diners.

Last edited:

Back