The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: First and second smoke on the WSM

First and second smoke on the WSM

The first run wasn't so great. Couldn't keep temps for nothing. Lot of wind and other difficulties.

Second run was tonight. Two baby's and a trimmed spare. Only got one pic, but man did they turn out tasty!

Used some mesquite and sprinkled in some cherry. Outstanding flavor.

I think i'm going to like this thing quite a bit....
    Last edited by James A; 02-03-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    Remember, no more effort is required to aim high in life, to demand abundance and prosperity, than is required to accept misery and poverty.

TVWBB Fan
    Looking good!

What size WSM are you using?

Q is a great disease to be afflicted with. The WSM makes it easier to learn than some other smokers. *** your cooker gets gunked up by more cooks temp control will get easier but the wind is still a problem. A wind shield helps with that.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" & 22.5" WSM, 1998 22" Performer with Vortex, Auber ATC. CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

Those ribs look good! Lew is right - once your WSM gets gunked up holding temps will be easier.
    14.5" WSM, 18.5" WSM, 18.5" OTS, 22.5" OTG, SJS, Spirit E-210

TVWBB Pro
    Great looking ribs!! As others have said, once your WSM is..."seasoned" it will hold a steady temp a lot better. That, along with gained experience with your smoker will only make it easier for you. Once you get the hang of holding steady temps, try different methods; water in the pan vs a foiled pan. Different minion methods, higher temps vs cooking low and slow. Once you figure out what works best for you, you're hooked for life, but what a wonderful addiction it is!!!
    Good luck,
    Tim
    Weber SG Gold Mini WSM 18.5 WSM Genesis E 320 Q-200:cool '06 Blue Performer

Thanks everyone. I got the 18.5. I looked at the 22 and just couldn't justify it. It is the Mrs., myself and our dog Zoe. I usually cook for 2-4 at most with leftovers. After doing the three racks at a time this past weekend, I think we'll be good. And who knows... can always use another smoker
    Remember, no more effort is required to aim high in life, to demand abundance and prosperity, than is required to accept misery and poverty.

Ah yeah, the pain of deciding to get the 22 or 18. I am going to get the 18 myself, but only because I already have a CharBroil Grill which has a firebox for stick burning.

TVWBB Gold Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I got lucky in one way, my brother decided that he no longer had any interest in smoking (other than Winstonís, darn it)
    So, I have been the recipient of his maybe five year old 22! I picked up an 18 from a forum member who was fabulous to work with! I have yet to fire the big guy, the 18 has served really well but, I will be doing a 20 passenger birthday party for my grandchildren and Iím planning on using it then, I need to do a practice run just to see the temp difference between the two. Good God, I love to cook on these things! I havenít had the 18 a full year yet but, man, it is a ball to use. I think the 18 is the better size for me most of the time for 6-8 diners.
    Last edited by Timothy F. Lewis; 02-23-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett