Lost Smoke

Mike D. StL

Hi Everyone,

I’m still quite the novice with my wsm. I have made ribs 3x using the BRITU recipe posted here and cook method, couple turkeys, and one brisket flat, all of which turned out great.

However I had had some issues making ribs where my wsm was running cool and I was having to prop the door open to keep temp above 225. So this time I’m trying it with no water in pan with pan foiled. Everything went well to start but noticed that about 30min in to the cook there wasn’t the normal amount of smoke coming out of the top vent. Like zero smoke. I checked the coals and they were still hot but not like red/orange hot. I added a few more lit and a couple small pieces of wood and obviously th e smoke started up again, I adjusted vents to closed because temp rising.

When I’ve had water in the pan before I was running vents 100% open and always lots of smoke going. Now I’m running with vents about 25% open and my temp is good in the 235-240 range but there isn’t smoke which is what I’m used to.

Is this even something to be concerned about? I’m about 1.5hrs in to the cook right now.

Thanks for any advice,
Mike

I agree with Dustin. You're getting the good smoke that follows the white smoke that you start with. Enjoy dinner. :wsm:

If it's cold out and your using water some of that white smoke you see is actually water vapor.
I run with an empty foiled pan and normally only get the white smoke for an 1/2 hr then the TBS (thin blue smoke)

Tim

Thanks guys, they turned out great. I had a thought about water vapor too after I posted. I was just so used to seeing a lot more smoke I was worried something was off.

Yes I actually used more than I had in previous cooks, so another reason I was surprised by little smoke.

However, I felt like I had way more control of the smoker temp with water in pan, using the vents. Each time with water in pan I’m struggling to keep temp in the 225 range and resort to propping open the door.

Back