Just picked up my first used Genesis

Juan H

Hey all! I just picked up my first craigslist find! Found this gem for 300 bucks. It’s a 2014 genesis s-330 I believe. No major faults I can find. New flavorizer bars and heat deflectors I plan on getting from rcplanebuyer. My question is can the original ss greats be salvaged. There is no rust but they are dirty as heck. I tried the over night simple great soak and that got most of the easy stuff. Also I cleans the majority of the outside up great but ther is quite a bit of discoloration around the lid handle. More like heat damage than rust. What’s the best way to get the lid back to its previous luster? Also this is my first post. I am not sure how to attach pictures or they would be included. I will update with them if I can figure it out. Thanks guys!

The original SS grates should be salvageable. There is no need to get them nice and shiny. Unless they are clearly corroded and rotting out, then color doesn't matter. You should be able to get the "crud" off with a simple wire brush or at worst a wire wheel on a drill or angle grinder. But, don't feel like they need to be bright and shiny....that will only last one cook anyway. The discoloration around the lid handle is probably just smoke and grease burned on. I would try a good Stainless Steel cleaner. Don't use any kind of abrassive cleaner or scrubber. Always try to scrub in the direction of the grain in the stainless steel.
I am more experienced with the ceramic coated hoods, but maybe someone else will have more tips for the stainless steel. Good luck and it sounds like you have a great candidate for making your personal grill.

No reason to shy away from a scrubber (though I would use something non-ferrous) as if you were to use steel wool or a brillo etc, because microscopic particles will be left behind embedded in the stainless steel which will cause rusty discoloration. But a nylon scrubber will do no harm nor will some good old oven cleaner i,e, easy off what have you and that goes for the grates also

Oven cleaner has worked great for me more than once. I would start with that on the stainless hood. I agree with Larry about the scrubbing with nylon, and I myself have resorted to using "Bar Keepers Friend" - similar to Comet, etc. but seems to work better. Of course, once you step up to this level of abrasive you need to be really, really careful to rub in the direction of the stainless "grain" as Bruce said. Otherwise, you will end up with a scratched up and unattractive hood:p! I am sure that is why Bruce is advising against something like Bar Keepers Friend. You will just have to way the pros and cons and see how less aggressive methods work first.

p.s. Also, Bruce is so right about the stainless grates. I can see going a little overboard if you are trying to sell and want to impress a potential buyer. But realistically, if you spend hours cleaning, scrubbing, even sanding down the grates to get to bright stainless again, how long will that last:confused:? About one good grilling session:eek:. It's actually better in my opinion to have a seasoned coating on your stainless. Not because of rust prevention as in doing this for cast iron but to help make your grates less sticky. I am not talkng about crudded up old food but a well scraped down grill which will season to a pretty dark color.

Last edited:
Awesome. I’ll start tomorrow with a ss cleaner from lowes or ace. If that doesn’t seem to work I will report back with the results. Thanks for the tips. I figured the grates where good to go. As I cooked on them once and my kettle grates where only stainless for about a month. Thanks again guys! I’m very glad I found this forum!

LOL, yah, "STAINLESS" is not a good name for it. Corrosion Resistant, yes, but it does stain. And if you get it hot enough, it will turn pretty colors from pulling the temper out of it.

I agree with the use of Bar Keepers Friend on the SS hoods, but rub with the grain.

With the SS grates by far the easiest way to clean the crud off is to do a long high heat burn- (I usually cook pizzas), all burners on full. The crud turns to white ash, which you brush off.

Also this is my first post. I am not sure how to attach pictures or they would be included. I will update with them if I can figure it out. Thanks guys!

Hey Juan, we would all really enjoy you posting pictures. Basically, you have to use a website that hosts pictures in order to put pictures in your threads. There are many. I use one called “tinypic” which is a free one, but you do have to put up with being bombed with advertising. Once you sign up with one of these, you can upload and resize pictures to it. Tinypic lets you select a picture size suitable for boards like tvwbb. Then you just copy the link from the photo site to your thread. I also sometimes upload pictures that I copy from Craigslist or OfferUp to tinypic because these expire pretty quickly from the ad sites and then if someone looks at your thread later they will get nothing if you just put a link to advertisement itself. Hope this helps. There is info here and on tinypic that will help you further. Love to see your project!

Juan, I'm not trying to upstage Jon (in fact, I respect his Skyline dedication and more) but another picture alternative is imgur, which works pretty good for a lot of us on here too. We just want to SEE your grill and hear about it too! It's a very enthusiastic group, and we're all very willing to tell you all about our rehabs, so you don't do the same dumb stuff I did rehabbing your awesome grill!

Best,

Tim

I’ll work on the pictures on Monday! A little busy tomorrow running the WSM and watching football. Project update. I used some stainless steel cleaner I found I had for the kitchen fridge. I used the kitchen sponge and went with the grain. 99% of the crud came off. Down side was I uncover where the previous owner tried to clean it. Lots of swirl marks from someone using an circular motion with some abbrasive.

New question arises today, what is the best way to purchase parts from rcplanebuyer? From his ebay account or direct from him? I read in another thread people were buying direct.

Not sure what people see in that product. I have tried it and found it a total waste of my time and effort. Especially on brushed surface stainless. On polished surface it works but ONLY if the stainless is clean to begin with

New question arises today, what is the best way to purchase parts from rcplanebuyer? From his ebay account or direct from him? I read in another thread people were buying direct.

Don't order off his ebay account. He has to pay Ebay fees for that. If you contact him direct, he can sell it a bit cheaper to you. If you PM me, I will give you his email address to contact him direct. But DO NOT mention Ebay when you talk to him. Tell him you got refered from this web site, otherwise, he is obligated to have you go through ebay.

Not sure what people see in that product. I have tried it and found it a total waste of my time and effort. Especially on brushed surface stainless. On polished surface it works but ONLY if the stainless is clean to begin with

Larry, I became impressed with Bar Keepers Friend when one of our maintenance guys transformed an old porcelain bath tub we had given up on into a bright, shiny white one. It may not work for every stain or situation, but I have found it to be helpful as part of my restoration arsenal.

Juan, I'm not trying to upstage Jon (in fact, I respect his Skyline dedication and more) but another picture alternative is imgur, which works pretty good for a lot of us on here too. We just want to SEE your grill and hear about it too! It's a very enthusiastic group, and we're all very willing to tell you all about our rehabs, so you don't do the same dumb stuff I did rehabbing your awesome grill!

Best,

Tim

Hey, I don’t feel upstaged;)! The main thing is to be able to share pictures with all of us:eek:. It is really sad to look at the old posts where members were using Photobucket before they changed their policy. There are a lot of great threads that would be so much more enjoyable if the pictures were still in it.

That is why I mentioned the idea of uploading pictures from Craigslist and OfferUp so that they survive beyond the short-lived ad posts.

Don't order off his ebay account. He has to pay Ebay fees for that. If you contact him direct, he can sell it a bit cheaper to you. If you PM me, I will give you his email address to contact him direct. But DO NOT mention Ebay when you talk to him. Tell him you got refered from this web site, otherwise, he is obligated to have you go through ebay.

Definitely the way to go, just as Bruce states. Dave is a true craftsman and a great friend of grill restorers.

Yah, that grill needed some TLC. Looks good though and should clean up nice.

You still need to figure out how to post photos so they display in the thread instead of just a link.

7KWGyFb.jpg

Last edited:
That hood is not stainless steel imo. It's the smoke gray porcelain color they came out with. Looks like SS but much easier to care for. As for photos it would be so much nicer of we could just drag and drop them into the site like on other forums. This 3rd party stuff is ridiculous

Back