Turkey chili recipes

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
For an upcoming scout trip, we're making 3 kinds of chili. I've been volunteered to make turkey chili (since I mentioned I had two 14 # birds in the freezer just waiting to be used).

I've made tons (gallons?) of turkey soup, turkey pot pie, and even turkey gumbo once, but never chili, so these are uncharted waters. I'm thawing the turkey now and going to cook next weekend (it should thaw by then) and planning to smoke it at a medium heat (275-300) since I don't care about the skin and will just be cutting/shredding the whole thing up.

For seasoning, I'm thinking a rub with some salt, pepper, cumin, chipotle and garlic (it's an enhanced turkey, so not planning to brine).

For the rest, figuring some onions, red & green bell peppers, black beans and corn, maybe throw in a little adobo sauce. Since some (most) of our scouts are spice-averse, I'm planning to keep it pretty mild.

this one looks worthy

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/texas-bbq-sweet-hot-chili-295915

2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
dill, to taste
chili powder, to taste
cumin, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste
2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained or 2 (14 ounce) cans substitute your favorite rotel
1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
4 (16 ounce) cans chili beans
3/4 cup picante sauce, your favorite flavor and heat
1/2-3/4 cup barbecue sauce ( I love the original KC Masterpiece, but any thick, sweet BBQ sauce should work.)
1 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese
Frito Scoops
prepared macaroni and cheese

Sauté onion in a little bit of oil. Add ground beef and minced garlic. Dust with dill, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes. Mix and cook covered over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked through. Drain fat.

Add tomatoes, tomato paste and beans.

Add picante sauce, barbecue sauce, diced green chilies.

Add any additional chili powder and/or red pepper flakes.

Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or more. I have let this simmer for up to 2 hours and the longer it sits, the yummier it gets. It's great the next day, and the day after, too!

Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese on top. Eat with the Frito Scoops if you are feeling adventurous enough to dig in without a spoon.

Optional - Make a box of mac 'n cheese and ring your chili bowl with it before spooning in the chili. Delectable!

Last edited by a moderator:
White bean chicken chili, just substitute with turkey. I usually make a salsa verde sauce and use it instead of just some diced chilies

http://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/white-bean-chicken-chili-healthy-recipe

1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cans Great Northern White Beans
One 4 ounce can diced green chilies
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3-4 cups chicken broth
Chopped cilantro for garnish

Drain beans

In a medium pot, saute onions and garlic with oil until soft

Add remaining ingredients - using broth to make it as thick or thin as you like

Bring to a low simmer, turn down and heat through stirring well

Serve topped with cilantro

Last edited by a moderator:
White bean chicken chili, just substitute with turkey. I usually make a salsa verde sauce and use it instead of just some diced chilies

http://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/white-bean-chicken-chili-healthy-recipe

Thanks...that looks easy enough, I'll just need to scale it up quite a bit. Two other parents are making a beef chili and vegan chili, but we'll be feeding about 28 people after a day of skiing, snowboarding or tubing.

Incidentally, work was closed today due to a parade for the local sportsball team winning a trophy, so I got the turkey smoked. I rubbed with a mix of kosher salt, cumin, chipotle and onion and garlic powders; also mixed some of the rub into some homemade turkey stock and melted butter and injeceted that. Here's the whole thing resting after 6 hours on the WSM:

I sneaked a small sample and it already tastes pretty good. A 14 # bird should yield a couple gallons of chili.

A 14 # bird should yield a couple gallons of chili.

Easily. The chili recipe I've followed the most called for 2# in 6 quarts but I've gone as high as 3.x# in 8 quarts.

This recipe I used 4.33# BSCB in ~7 quarts: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?68961-White-Bean-Chicken-Chili-version-2-0

It's great stuff. I'd follow it like John's & my (my 2nd copy of John's) cook, but I'd stick with the milder peppers like the pasillas, New Mexicos, or even Anaheims for the scouts (break a small piece off if you dare & try it at the store before you buy a whole bunch.

Since your turkey is already cooked, & when I did it one time I cooked it raw, another time I partially cooked it (bscb or thighs) on the grill for more flavor, I wouldn't simmer the cooked meat longer than you have to in the soup. Maybe get everything going & simmer the skin in the soup for the long simmer, & cut/slice/shred the meat, & drop it in when you take it off the heat to cool.

Probably a perfect time to simmer that carcass for the stock.

Back