Pulled Pork and Mac and Cheese!

Nick Hall

This weekend I am going to smoke a pork butt and some mac and cheese in my 22.5 to make some delicious sandwiches.

Question is, is it better to have to pork on the top grate and let the juices fall into the mac and cheese when I put it on, or on the bottom and keep everything separate?

I'll put pictures up afterwards to show off LOL!

If it were beans I'd say but them on the bottom, but with mac and cheese, I think the pork will drip too much on it.

How do you smoke mac and cheese without it seriously overcooking and drying out?
It's really done by the time it's in the casserole dish. Only goes in the smoker for the first 1/2 hr or so when smoke at max and any unmelted cheese will be. Then pulled out and mixed up to distribute the "smoked parts".

Just before serving, I'd put it under the broiler to crisp up the top/re-heat it. That's how I'd do it anyways.

Last edited:
I'll have to give it a try in the smoker sometime. Somebody, not me, bought some Cracker Barrel boxed mac and cheese at some point in the past. I was checking "the commissary" and found it had recently gone past its "best by" date and figured we should probably use it since it was there. I had one package of Li'l Smokies left from the ABTs I made at Christmas. I sliced those into smaller pieces and browned them a little in a fray pan, then tossed them in with the mac and cheese. For a meal in which I did nothing but open packages and heat things up, I have to say it was rather tasty. I would imagine a bit of real smoke on the mac and cheese would have only made it better.

Back