Minion Method and Smoking

When smoking Pork Butts or Spare ribs on my bullet smoker I use the Minion Method. I make a hole in the center of my charcoal and place 12 to 14 hot coals in the center. I then place a piece of smoke wood next to the hot coals but do not seem to get enough smoke on the butts or ribs to taste it. I read another way to use the Minion Method was to scatter the hot coals over the bed of unlit coals. Then place more then one piece of wood next to the hot coals. What is the best way in your opinion to get the wood smoke flavor on the meat using the minion method?

Steve

I don't know if this is the best way, but it's my way learned from years on the board.
Hatchet your chunks into thirds or fourths, scatter them over the unlit and then scatter your lit over that.
I feel the wood smoke gets washed or cleansed burning through the lit.
No scientific reasoning to support it but I know it works for me:wsm:

On edit: You need to source wood with the right moisture content. 1 chunk of store bought bagged stuff will get you smoke but not enough flavor.

Tim

Last edited:
When I do something that can use a lot of smoke, like a butt, I throw a few small pieces of smoke wood in the hole before I dump the lit coals in. I also distribute chunks on top of the rest of the coals. I don't usually treat ribs that way. They usually pick up smoke pretty easily.

I think you can't go too wrong with anything you've mentioned. I poor in my unlit and make a little crater for my lit. I usually put a chunk near there and mix a few on top and buried.

My approach varies depending on exactly what I'm cooking, but for butts or brisket I'll bury several pieces of smoke wood (4, 5, 6 depending on size) among the unlit coals at varying distances from the center. Lit coals go in the center and then I add a final piece of smoke wood just touching the side of the lit. The idea is for there to be something making smoke for at least the first 5-6 hours. I'll add more later if I think it's needed.

I used to use the chunks whole (from the bag) then I found a lot of them didn't burn all the way afterwards. I cut them into slivers, like 1/4-1/2 thick (think: shim thickness), and disperse around the center (picture a WalMart symbol).

I often find chunks of fruitwood charcoal in the smoker after a cook. I figure that hunk of wood has given its all as far as flavor. Next time I toss it on and use it as fuel. I don't think they need to burn all the way to ash for them to have done their job.

I put a good sized chunk of smoke wood in the chimney starter along with the briquettes. The hope is that this gets the smoking process off to a good start. I spread the lit over top of the unlit, making sure to touch all the wood chunks. Like others, I still have bits of wood left after 12-15 hours. Unlike a stick burner, our WSM wood is smoldering, not really burning. Tonight, I'm gonna try splitting the large chunks into smaller ones as several have suggested above. Doing an 8lb. pork butt overnight. It's 40° here, going down to 30° overnight. Hope the wind stays down.

Jeff

You said you put A (1?) chunk of wood next to the lit. For butts I use 3 or more chunks of wood and sometimes I cut them in half and put 6 little chunks in. I started out using less wood than I do now.

You said you put A (1?) chunk of wood next to the lit. For butts I use 3 or more chunks of wood and sometimes I cut them in half and put 6 little chunks in. I started out using less wood than I do now.

Sorry to be unclear. I usually light between 12 and 20 briquettes in a chimney, depending on the temp I want to hold. I'll toss a good-sized chunk of wood into the chimney with the briquettes so that it catches fire as the briquettes come to temp. Then I pour the entire lot over the unlit briquettes and smoke wood in the WSM charcoal chamber. That way, I have smoke being generated from the time the WSM fire gets lit.

Jeff

Thank you all for the tips. I am going to try to chop the bigger pieces in to smaller ones and disperse among the unlit coals.

Back