Price of St Louis Pork Ribs

I paid $2.59 # last Saturday for St Louis cut, which I really did not want but it was all the store had on the shelf.

I prefer the whole slab of spares, which sell for $1.59 . If by chance I want St Louis, I can trim them myself.

I buy them at Aldi's too. I also can get whole slabs for $1.59 at Sav-A-Lot. Like Lynn, I trim them myself. My wife prefers Baby Backs. I have no preference.

So, when you guys say you buy the whole slabs, does that mean you trim the back ribs and the tips off, or just the tips.

you don't get backs and sides together (as in 1 piece) AFAIK. Never ever seen them that way. I have seen the side and the breast bone uncut though. All the sides we get here have the breast bone cut off and "hidden" under the side ribs. Tips are always attached (St L cut notwithstanding).

You can get "whole pork loins" that have the back (called "chine") still attached to the back ribs but unless you have a meat/band saw, you have to get the butcher to cut the chine away from the ribs. The loin is attached to the back ribs but is easy to cut away (once you learn how to prepare it).

Last edited:
So, when you guys say you buy the whole slabs, does that mean you trim the back ribs and the tips off, or just the tips.

Just tips and breast bone.

I've always done the same thing Aaron Franklin does here ........ at about 2:06 mark, cept I don't throw the skirt away, and I " fillet " the meat off the breast bone, and I use " catfish skinners " for the membrane.

Last edited:
I picked up three racks at Aldis. They look like pretty nice racks for $1.99 per lb. They were only about 3.5 pounds each, so around $7 per rack.

Just tips and breast bone. I've always done the same thing Aaron Franklin does here ........cept I don't throw the skirt away...

I take the membrane off first then trim to St. Louis cut. All the "scrap" meat is smoked along with the ribs.

The only difference is I pan and foil them when they reach COLOR, not temp. At temp they usually get a bit harder to chew...almost like jerky. I keep these for snacking on. I've also pulled the scrap meat for sandwiches.

FWIW, we went to Aldi's yesterday and I picked up 2 BBs and 1 SLC. That makes 3 BB, 2 SLC, and 1 Spare in the freezer along with 1 ham butt, 8 pork butts and 1 brisket. Now, if I can only get the weather to cooperate...it's 16F here today and windy. Tomorrow will be worse and a possibility of snow this weekend.

EDIT: I just watched Aaron's video (again) and at 7:31 he states that the meat is "imperfect". So, it pops into my brain: BBQ: The process of making imperfect meat PERFECT. :)

Last edited:
Yah Bill, I got my 3 Stl cut ribs yesterday at Aldis when it was almost 40 degrees. Now today the high is 7 (5 right now at 12:30). Mine are in the freezer waiting better grilling weather. I didn't see any other ribs in my Aldis, just the Stl cut ones.

But, I have found that with my Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer, I can monitor my grill very well from my living room. I also have a few packs of chicken Wingettes I want to put on the grill and turn into Buffalo Wings.

Yah Bill, I got my 3 Stl cut ribs yesterday at Aldis when it was almost 40 degrees. Now today the high is 7 (5 right now at 12:30). Mine are in the freezer waiting better grilling weather. I didn't see any other ribs in my Aldis, just the Stl cut ones.

But, I have found that with my Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer, I can monitor my grill very well from my living room.

I use a DigiQ DX2. It doesn't have a remote monitor so I use my Maverick along side it so I can stay indoors as much as possible.

Back