I know why you folks grill in freezing weather

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
39952667411_0908c8c8aa_z.jpg
[/url]content[1] by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

I can not just wait till spring ,if i get a halfway warm day i will wash my car to remove salt and BBQ to get that summertime smell, and i will cook at a lot of different foods to to freeze for later. all kinds of beef, chicken, etc. Not have flies around is just a big plus.

happy to see this now posted, Rich!
however, there are no bugs around when it is "grilling season"...

Actually - the reason is usually quite simple:

Withdrawal symptoms from a lack of grilling / smoking while impatiently waiting for Spring to get here....
At some point, some of us go CRAZY and simply go into "Admiral Farragut mode" and decide to simply tough it out, as in:

"I don't care HOW flippin' COLD it is - I'm sick of being cooped-up in the house and I'M GONNA' GRILL SOMETHING, DANG IT!!!...." That's when it happens

Ron’s on the right track but, really it’s simpler than that. We do it because we just plain want to!
Grilling when it’s -10 degrees is a little like drinking coffee in the 100 degree summer... like my Dad used to say:”it feels so good when you stop!”
I think about my Dad a lot when I cook, he was a fabulous support and a ready diner! Both my parents were big fans of my cooking, I miss them both.

George, snow is a beautiful blanket of frozen water which impedes almost any outdoor activity unless you are a winter sports person, I am not, therefor, it is a major hindrance In my pursuit of grilled or smoked perfection. But then again, i kind of like using my snowblower, the yin and yang of it all I guess.

In Michigan, we are lucky and cursed by having all four seasons...some are too long and others too short, we are also blessed with the other two seasons often unspoken of, construction and bad roads.

Last edited:
Love it, construction and bad roads ! Here we have hi 99. It is always under construction. By the time they finish one area, the previous area done before is now in need of repairs. I once was in a hotel bus from the hotel to mac tools headquarters in october and the roads were insane. Thus I rarely complain about calif roads which are smooth in comparison.

We have pretty mild weather here in the northern AZ mountains almost all year round. Are albatross is the lousy chalice soil which inhibits plant growth, except for weeds. It also screws up the roads. Barb and I went to look at a brand new subdivision to look at the model homes. The roads were only about two months old and already were like a two track through the desert full of bumps and dips. Also we have two types of cement driveways here, those that have cracks and those that soon will have cracks.

I did some grilling (eight minute burgers on the gasser) in the worst possible conditions, 31 degrees and 1/8" of snow on the ground. I'm tellin ya it was brutal. At least the sun was out.:cool:

Back