Mexican/Southwest rub for pork?

BrentMc

I am wanting to experiment with pulled pork tacos, but have NO experience except for my usually bbq spices for traditional style 'cue. Do you guys change your rubs or add in the Mexican flare after cooking? Do you even make the flavors Mexican-ish at all?

You might try adding Mexican oregano and/or cumin to the rub. After you pull the pork, pan fry it with a little olive oil and a bit of Mexican spices (optional) on one side until it browns just a little. Then make your tacos. Serve with Modelo Especial.

Jeff

When we do pulled pork tacos. We only season with salt and pepper. You will get your flavor from the salsa you make to top them.
-we are Mexican by the way.

Thanks, guys. Tony, the salt and pepper idea makes perfect sense. I felt like using my normal rub wouldn't give it the taste I was looking for in the end.

One of the best things I've ever tasted was a serendipitous combination that arose from necessity. I had some leftover pulled pork but had used the last of the buns. I did, however, have some flour tortillas. So I put some pulled pork on a tortilla, added a bit of a homemade cooked salsa that included apple cider vinegar, and rolled it up. I was expecting a clash of flavors, but I was hungry and willing to risk it. Turned out everything went together absolutely perfectly. It was like the universe intended for these things to go together.

This was a long time ago and I don't recall what kind of rub I used on the pork butt. At the time I was just as happy to smoke 'em naked so it's possible there was nothing but salt and pepper. Were I to aim for this usage I'd probably use a fairly normal rub but go heavy on the cumin and not slather with mustard first. I'd also consider injecting with a mix of orange juice and lime juice.

I use 2 methods,Weber Carne Asada is a dry rub that I use a lot with pork blade steaks when grilling but would work well on smoked meat also,Mojo marinade that if you have a injector with large holes can be used if not 12-24 hrs in a bag.All of the Weber rubs are great for store bought ,now I'm thinking this may be my supper tonite lol

I'm planning on a pork taco spread for the Super Bowl... I will post pics IF it was share worthy lol

A few years ago I wore my family out on pull pork. I always use slap yo daddy’s all purpose rub. So as an experiment I decided to try and add it to corn tortillas since the whole family likes Mexican cuisine. Basically I took the pulled pork that was Already cooked with the SYD rub placed in a cast iron skillet, sprinkled with some brown sugar and a little orange juice for moisture. Crisped it up, placed in small corn tortillas with chopped onion and cilantro. Kind of has a carnitas flavor to them.

Back