Weber Genesis Platinum 2005 Restore

Leandro P

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone I wanted to share my quick restore of a 2005 weber genesis platinum.

CD0dmNA.jpg

The most interesting thing of this particular grill is that the frame is stainless steel and when I found that out I really wanted one. The problem with these grills is that they have the closed cart design that most genesis 2005 have. I never liked this design because the bottom always rusted out as well as the side and back panels develop rust.

After trying to save the bottom panel by scraping and painting, I hated how it turned out so I decided to see if the bottom of my 2003 genesis gold would fit on the stainless frame and to my surprise it did. I love the open cart design so I ordered a bottom rack for it part number 60145. I believe with this setup: stainless frame , wire rack bottom, and some rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizer bars I will have a grill for a long long time and will never have the dreaded frame rust issue on the side where the cookbox gets attached to the frame that all these grills are known for.

Here it is completely unassembeled and cleaned up.

avssn5p.jpg

Project coming alive wire rack installed and new cookbox. I found out cookbox had holes and got a new one through warranty.

OcHNtKT.jpg

Finished product. (Not really finished lol but last picture I had before I actually finished you will see the ignitor wires hanging and missing knobs :))

NrXteVi.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guys! You can say I’m biased to the open cart design.( I have two 2003 Weber genesis gold Bs) I did think about painting the bottom rack silver on the platinum to better match the stainless frame. However since the cook box and lid don’t have gray anymore I figured I could get away with it.
NQl4QOx.jpg

Last edited:
Leandro,

That is a great restore and great concept. As you know I have been following both a Summit Platinum and a Genesis Platinum on OfferUp. Seeing what you did with the open cart makes the Genesis a lot more appealing. I definitely agree you have made this grill a long-term keeper that should give you years of great service. The stainless frame is the perfect solution for our South Florida environment!

Thanks for sharing!

Yup Jon that was my thought when going this route thinking of long term in our weather. Glad you liked it. If you want any tips let me know. The stainless and gray paint look much better on the one you are looking into than how mine were. Maybe you can preserve the gray look. The only problem with stainless hoods is the inside layer always rusts. It Should have warranty still and most people never register grills. Replacement won’t be stainless they don’t make those anymore. Should be gray sides with black porcelain.

Last edited:
Leandro,

I did a redo of a Genesis Gold for a good friend of mine. The one thing I really couldn't do much about was that inner layer of the stainless hood. I know it is supposed to help keep the outer layer from discoloring, but it is a real disappointment that they didn't make it removable with screws/bolts and then offer replacements. Otherwise, the Gold is a great grill. I didn't know that the Platinum bought you more than just the gray color and bragging rights! The stainless frame is a BIG deal to me. It is, in fact, exactly what I have been saying Weber should do now for those of us in coastal environments. It would be OK to me if they made you pay more (like they did back then with the "Platinum" designation), but at least they should OFFER a true stainless choice.

As I said before, this looks like a much better option than I had ever previously realized. Your open cart mod makes it even better! If I can figure out a way, I think I am going to try to get the one that is on OfferUp:eek:!

Jon

Back