Looking for some help daring a Q-200

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
I'm looking at a Q-200 on CL, and want to know (ballpark) how old it is. I know it is a Q-200 because it doesn't have the thermometer in the lid. My question is, what yer did Weber switch from the 200 to the 220?
Thanks for the help,
Tim

2003 to 2013.
The Q grills came out in 2003 and through 2013, they had the Q1xx, Q2xx, Q3xx model names. In 2014 they went with the Q1xxx, Q2xxx, Q3xxx models. If you see a model number such as Q220, that is the same as the Q200 but upgraded. Upgrades would usually include an electric starter, thermometer, side flip out tables and taller lid.

I think the easiest way to tell the difference between Q200 (2003-2013) and Q2000 (2014 and up) is to look of the WEBER logo on the bottom middle of the front legs.

XvmQyLG.jpg

Also, I beleive the split cooking grates were introduced with the Q2xxx grills. But a Q2xx could have the split cooking grate if it was replaced in the last couple years. The differences between the two are negligible and the performance if virtually identical.

Last edited:
Bruce did a great job of presenting the models clearly. I think the improvements from the 200 to the 2000 series aren’t enough to deter you from buying the earlier version.

I had a Q200 I restored and used a LOT with great success. I decided to give it to a good friend who really needed a grill after I picked up a Q3200 for $100 and a beautiful Q1200 for $50. That covered my everyday use and the ability to take one on a trip or picnic. I have to say, though, I really miss my Q200 which is big enough to do most things but still portable as well. I suppose the thermometer in the 220/2200 is a nice touch, but it is really only useful as a rough guide. If you really want one I have seen members here who have added one with apparent success.

Good luck! These are GREAT grills:D:weberq:!

Last edited:
I added one to my Q100. I cannot say how accurate it is as I haven't verified it, but it is probably pretty close and is very handy in letting me know in general how things are going. For instance, it lets me know if the propane tank ran out...hahahaha

I'm looking at a Q-200 on CL, and want to know (ballpark) how old it is. I know it is a Q-200 because it doesn't have the thermometer in the lid. My question is, what yer did Weber switch from the 200 to the 220?
Thanks for the help,
Tim

The Q200 to 220 is not a date thing it was an option. The 200 has a lower lid and no thermo. The 220 has a higher domed lid and thermo. I bought a 200 for my oldest girl when she went off to college and a short time later found a 220 for myself. Her lid is definitely lower dome but everything else is the same. I thought about putting a thermo on it for her but felt the probe would interfere due to the lower dome

Back