New: Kingsford Barbecue Meats

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Seen in today's San Jose Mercury News...would you try it?

I guess this is part of a long, slow progression. First you sell the charcoal (1954). Then you sell the barbecue sauce (2017). Then you say to hell with it, let's just cut to the chase and sell the finished barbecue!

What's next? Weber stops selling grills and rubs and starts selling grilled steaks and barbecued spareribs? :confused:

oxWAQ8W.jpg

Hey that's the old Butterball plant in my backyard. Hopefully it's not bad and sells, good for the local economy.:)

Tim

Sorry but none of those products will ever touch my lips. I'm thinking that with all the crap they'll have to put in it to give it some shelf life and probably a boat load of salt and mystery chemicals to give it some flavor, definitely not for me or Barb. Doing my own grilling and Q allows me to control what's in it and I like that.

Sorry but none of those products will ever touch my lips. I'm thinking that with all the crap they'll have to put in it to give it some shelf life and probably a boat load of salt and mystery chemicals to give it some flavor, definitely not for me or Barb. Doing my own grilling and Q allows me to control what's in it and I like that.

Not trying to change your mind...you're probably right about salt.

From the press release: "...will feature the hardwood, slow-smoked taste that consumers love, made with simple, real ingredients and without high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors or preservatives".

Interesting that the ribs come in a pan that can go straight onto a grill.

p4oKk8V.jpg

Here's the text of the press release:

Carl Buddig & Company Inks Licensing Deal With Kingsford to Launch Kingsford Branded Pre-Cooked, Smoked Ribs and Barbecue Meats
September 26, 2017

HOMEWOOD, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- CBQ, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carl Buddig & Company, has reached a multiyear agreement to produce Kingsford® branded pre-cooked ribs and barbecue entrees. Kingsford charcoal, the inventor of the charcoal briquet, has successfully entered the food category this year with the launch of Kingsford BBQ sauces and Dry Rub.

CBQ’s pre-cooked Kingsford ribs and barbecue proteins will launch nationwide in December 2017 and will feature the hardwood, slow-smoked taste that consumers love, made with simple, real ingredients and without high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors or preservatives. Under this partnership, CBQ will also transition its proprietary No Mess Oven and Grill Ready Pans, unique to the category, to the Kingsford brand.

“Kingsford is a highly respected brand across categories with exceptional consumer awareness. This partnership is a natural fit for Buddig as we continue to grow our product line of fresh, great-tasting meats,” said Tom Buddig, executive vice president of Carl Buddig & Company. “We’re excited to expand our line of pre-cooked barbecued ribs and entrees under the Kingsford brand while continuing to drive synergies with their BBQ sauces, flavored charcoal and grilling products.”

Buddig will leverage its national sales and distribution network to support the Kingsford launch in supermarkets, club stores, food service and military channels.

“Consistent with our Kingsford food strategy to expand the brand through licensing, we are excited to partner with Carl Buddig to launch this new line of Kingsford smoked ribs and barbecue meats,” said Rory Wehrlie, associate director of alliances at The Clorox Company. “We look forward to building on Kingsford’s 90-plus years of grilling expertise to offer high-quality Kingsford branded barbecue foods that create significant value for the category and consumers.”

About Carl Buddig & Company

Based in Homewood, Illinois, Carl Buddig & Company has been feeding family traditions for nearly 75 years with the very best in taste, variety and convenience. Carl Buddig & Company is owned and operated by the Buddig family and is proud to be entering its fourth generation of family ownership. In addition to launching the Kingsford brand of high-quality barbecue products, Carl Buddig & Company is the parent company responsible for distribution of Buddig lunchmeat and Old Wisconsin® hardwood-smoked sausage and snack products in supermarkets across the country. Buddig offers an assortment of quality, thin-sliced lean meats for sandwiches, snacks and special recipes, including Buddig Original, Premium Deli and Fix Quix® products. Old Wisconsin sausage and meat snack products are handcrafted and smoked over real hardwood fires. To learn more, please visit www.buddig.com and www.oldwisconsin.com.

About Kingsford Charcoal

Kingsford Charcoal has fired up great times and great-tasting food for nearly 100 years. The Kingsford Products Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Clorox Company, headquartered in Oakland, Calif. The Clorox Company (NYSE: CLX) is a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products with more than 8,000 employees worldwide and fiscal year 2017 sales of $6 billion. For more information, visit www.kingsford.com. For information on Kingsford licensing, please contact Rory Wehrlie at rory.wehrlie@clorox.com.

Not trying to change your mind...you're probably right about salt.

From the press release: "...will feature the hardwood, slow-smoked taste that consumers love, made with simple, real ingredients and without high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors or preservatives".

Interesting that the ribs come in a pan that can go straight onto a grill.

That's an interesting description of what the product is, but to me it's like stores advertising all natural pork, beef, chicken. Don't think I could comprehend what unnatural beef, pork or chicken would be. Also the description doesn't say it's smoked but will have slow smoked taste. Made with simple, real ingredients, well if it is an ingredient than I guess it would have to be real.
I'm suspicious of corporate word play descriptions but maybe this will be refrigerated and have a short shelf life without any preservatives.
I'll wait and see what the ingredients are when I see them in the markets.
Still I'll keep making my own.

I might try one but, by and large, I wholeheartedly agree with you Rich! I was just walking through my little neighborhood grocery store and have felt the need, the need for smoke!
I walked down the (limited) charcoal aisle and since the sun was shining, I thought if there was a nice butt, I’d come home and saddle up. Sadly, no butts. And remember “No butts, no glory!”

Rich, I am with you. I am always skeptical in advertising claims. Large corporations have large Advertising Departments with big budgets. These guys are very good with wording and presentation. Much of the time you can figure out the "catch" if you really read into it and question it. And, Rich, it sounds like that is what you do as well.

I am not saying they won't taste good or be a popular product, but it probably won't be popular with the types of guys/gals on a forum like this. But, for the TV dinner guy who wants to try to impress someone, it might be a big hit.

I was at Sam's yesterday picking up some wings for "The Big Game." The were sampling some Jack Daniel's Ribs:

maxresdefault.jpg

At least the one I had was better than the BBQ they were pushing: (fortunately, there was a Corona/Modelo tasting around the corner!)

0007874219215_A

But, I still prefer mine. (As I'm sure you do, yours ! ! !)

BD

They tasted like beef jerky. I gave the rack to my mother in law to feed to her dogs. I bought the Memphis rub ones, a slab ran me $9.99. Save your money, people!

Does anyone know if this product is sold at room temperature and vacuum packed or is it frozen?

C'mon someone, one of us has to try it now!!!! Chris Allingham, let's do a review!!!!

Does anyone know if this product is sold at room temperature and vacuum packed or is it frozen?

C'mon someone, one of us has to try it now!!!! Chris Allingham, let's do a review!!!!
It's refrigerated only.
I will not try it. :)

Last edited:
So long story short (but funny): wife and I were attending a work-related bbq recently, and this occurred. Dude missed the timing on the ribs but had the pork and brisket already out. He’s a legit bbqer...food was outstanding. Two hours into the party, he starts handing out ribs on sizzle-plates. No one went back for more...literally no one. He had at least three full racks left on the table. One half rack was eaten by about 15 people. But his ribs are usually incredible and we knew that already, which is why we just figured he botched it. No biggie. When it was time to leave, my son was with a small group of kids playing with the dogs in the yard. Turns out they were trying to get something out of its mouth...and what was it? A cardboard Kingsford dry-rub center cut pork rib pack. There were three others just like it shredded in the yard. Puppy blew up their spot!

I bought a pack just on a whim for Father’s Day. I usually bbq my own, but after a small health scare, I gave up pork. Ribs are the only thing I miss. I also worked until 11 pm all weekend, so I didn’t have the time. Eh, live and learn. I warmed mine on my PK Grill on Monday alongside some baked beans for my Dad’s belated Father’s Day meal. I’d saw two YouTube reviews of the product, and both mentioned a lack of smoke flavor, so I used some applewood chunks for additional flavor. It didn’t work. The bite I took was peppery from the rub and tasted of store bought jerky. It was waxy and preservative-laden, and not fit to serve to my father, who would probably buy these himself as he was never a big bbqer. I’ll ask my mother in law if the dogs ate them.

Back