What concerns should I have for a used WSM?

BLGreenway

Question for all of you. What reservations if any would you have for purchasing a used Weber Smokey Mountain? If you examined it, what would concern you if you saw or found it on a used one? The warranty would only apply to the original owner, correct? That's usually how it works...so what is the warranty worth to you? How much discount would you want on a 22.5 or a 18.5 without that warranty? If one is in really good shape, what price would you think is reasonable?

Looking at what your thoughts might be. Thanks.

I've always passed on buying used cast iron cookwear because I've seen folks use old pots for melting lead for fishing weights and things like that. But I can't imagine too many activities where someone could re-purpose a WSM for someone to worry about. I would get it if I was comfortable with the price and everything was in good shape. Warranty wouldn't be a concern - just a bonus if it actually did transfer. Most anything that can go wrong with them is easy and relatively inexpensive to replace.

The only thing that I’d do is a good long high heat cleanout burn for cleaning out the grates with a wire brush. Before the burn, would scrape out any heavy gunk that I found inside the unit, after that burnout, it should be good to go—-

I bought my 18" WSM in January 2003. Its seen a lot of cooks and there's nothing wrong with it today. Its good to go for a lot of years left. That said, I keep the Weber cover on it and I keep it on a covered patio. The cooking grates are cleaned after every cook. I have replaced the top cooking grate because it began to rust.

If someone kept a WSM in an open yard, without a cover, and maybe .... in some strange way, water got into it, I guess it could rust inside. I've heard of this happening with offset smokers, and it contributed to the firebox rotting out. But for that to happen to a WSM would be very rare.

I think someone would have to work at tearing up a WSM.

Pricing of a WSM ? Depends upon age, but a general rule for me on most anything used, is to start at half of the price new and adjust from there.

I agree on the cleanout burn. A full load of charcoal with no water pan should get into the 400+ range and run for hours. Mine ran all night that way. I washed it out with a hose first too.

If all the parts were there and the pieces fit together I wouldn't have reservations. Weber charcoal grills and smokers are pretty safe bets used. I picked up a 1000 Performer for $75 and it's great after 3 years of use by me. I agree that half the new price is a good starting point. Most of what I see used around here is the 18.5.

I actually would prefer to buy a used one. Already seasoned. My first WSM wAs purchased on CL in 2011. Was totally seasoned and came with a CB door and the larger coal ring. Half off the new price at 200 bucks. I never looked back. Fast forward to 20013 I decided I wanted to get an 18”WSM. Same deal could have got a new one on clearence from Walmart 100 bucks off but chose to wait and find on CL. Half off and already seasoned. I’d go used. I bought my 14” WSM right after they came out. Paid full price and had to season. Go used. You can’t go wrong

Back