Withdrawal!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
It’s official, I have have a serious grilling need!
Have not done any grill work in over two weeks, the desire has made me grumpy as all get out!
It’s sunny, and will warm up pretty nicely today, the January thaw will allow a perfect day to turn and burn a chicken! Had to pick up some forgotten item and wandered through the “Seasonal” section at Meijer’s so, I picked up a bag of cherry to refill the coffers. Well, start refilling anyway.

I almost can understand what you're going through. Fortunately, I live in climate where I can hit the grill or hit the road on the two wheels most of the year ! ! !

BD

throwed some steaks on the performer yesterday,been awhile since I fired it up,the spirit has been getting used a lot in this cold weather,took a road trip with it and a bunch of screws vibrated out so hard ware store tomorrow

We have had two days with some big yellow ball in the sky, scared the stuffing out of everyone for the first day, so I fired the nice little chicken up and since the world didn’t come to an end after the first day with that thing in the sky I did some wings last night, sausage fest today but, I fear that yellow thing will go away again, drat! I was starting to like milder temperatures but, 50 in January is pretty rare.

We moved from Michigan in the early 70's didn't mind the snow when I was a kid but couldn't tolerate it these days,hope to take a vacation and go all the way up to the UP in a few years

I don’t deal with it as well as I used too, I will not let it stop me from most outside projects unless it’s either:
A- snowing so hard I think I’m in Nebraska.
B- so miserably cold you think your face froze five seconds out the door on the way to the car.
C- I have to climb on the roof for any reason!

I apologize to any Nebraskans, you folks are cut from a different bolt!

Timothy, I hope you can get your grill on soon, and that big yellow ball comes out more often as not to scare the locals.

Last edited:
It’s decent today but, I have a fridge full of leftovers from two days grilling! Did a nice little sausage fest last night and I was over supplied so to speak. I’m leaning toward the leftover chicken into a pot pie for tonight or maybe something else.

C'mon guys. I'm in New England and grill out 52 weeks a year. I may draw a limit at snow or rain, but temps are not usually a factor. If it is near 0F I may think about it a bit more, but just let the grill heat up longer. I use methane so don't have to worry about emptying a cylinder.

I grill year around, and did a lovely pork roast for dinner in a snowstorm in February a couple of years back when we had been in negative numbers for over a week so, I’m pretty brave most all the time. I’m a charcoal guy so, simply turning the valve is not my style. The only thing I really wish I has was an open “three season” porch or a car port!
The umbrella over the performer won’t take too much snow. The carport would render any complaints moot, I’d do the canvas wall thing for it! With some wind break my patio heater makes a protected area fairly tolerable even in almost 20 degree weather.

Last edited:
I once had to skip grilling for a couple of days - the cover was frozen on my Performer. Once it thawed enough I could get if off it was back to grilling.
P.S. I got a new grill cover that does not leak so it doesn't get moisture under it and freeze to the grill.

I'm no stranger to cold, growing up in the Chicago 'burbs in the 50s. Late December, January and early February very seldom got above 0F. I was on our high school swim team and had to catch the 5am jock bus to get to practice before classes started. I remember standing on the sidewalk waiting for the bus with a couple of other guys and it being in the - teens. The bus would pull up and the driver would open the door and the heat from inside the bus felt like a flame thrower in your face.

Today now in my 70s my meds one of which I call the sloth pill which slows down my metabolism causes me to get cold really quickly and it can take hours for me to warm up once inside. So the covers go on the grills and smokers except for the NG E320 gasser that's under the covered patio the first of November and come off sometime in March.

I do envy those of you who can tolerate the cold because I sure miss the winter grilling.

Last edited:
I hear you Rich! The prescribed misery drugs are better than not having them but, when the weather is as cold as it can be and all I want to do is turn on an electric blanket and cover up, it’s irksome!
I used up some of the turned bird from the other day Tom make a couple of nice little pot pies last night to warm up the kitchen a little while I did some other work in there! It was good to have three days at the kettle in January and be able to hang out long enough to see that everything was going according to plan! Often this time of year it’s more a light, run back inside, watch through the window, run back out, spread, set grate, back inside for a burn off, get the goods, back out, scrape, get the protein on before fingers freeze and cover baby up, in, wait, turn, repeat!

I used to wonder why old men mostly wore sweaters. Now, I know. It's because they are cold all the time.

I have not grilled or smoked anything since, I believe, December 10th. I'm also going nuts.

I was sick (possibly with the flu, but not confirmed) as a dog to begin January. Last week I had strep! I'm still battling chest congestion. I was hoping to smoke a pork butt for my Super Bowl party, but it's going to rain tomorrow night and the weather is absolutely unfavorable.

I have a few beef short ribs that I can't wait to smoke...

I'm gonna pull out a couple packs of chicken Wingettes. Time for some Buffalo chicken wings. Gonna do them on the Genesis 1000. I have been using the Q100 but haven't pulled out the big guy for two or three weeks.

Yah, this northern weather really puts a damper on things. Like others, I grew up here and it never bothered me much then, but age has changed that quite a bit.

Back