Today I came across this Summit Platinum D6 on OfferUp:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/414428515/?ref=Search

fazz7p.jpg

oephd.jpg

2hchle9.jpg

The description says it all:

$100

Description
High quality grill (stainless steel) shell. Needs all interior parts, new burners, pans etc. Can be purchased for approx. $250 online and grill would be brand new. No trades.

I would venture to say that you would have to invest a lot more than $250 to replace everything he mentions, and then there is the same issue I mentioned in my recent thread regarding the firebox and rust-through. On the other hand, I have always had a soft spot for these grills which seem more practical and less overdone than the current version.

What do you all think of this one?

Last edited:
I'm no Summit expert, but if the firebox on the older ones is aluminum it could be tempting.

I'm no Summit expert, but if the firebox on the older ones is aluminum it could be tempting.

My understanding is that it is not all aluminum but rather partially steel, including where the burner tubes go in.

One thing that I do really like is that the back piece seems to be stainless steel and must be decent stainless to look that good despite South Florida salt air. This is the way all closed-in cabinets need to be made. Not sure about the side pieces on this one, though. From the picture and description, except maybe the grates, most of the inside appears to be a lost cause. Replacement can get a little costly, but the firebox is the bigger issue. It looks like this one has the rear infrared burner. I wonder if it works. No mention of a rotisserie which would be another benefit this size grill could bring. If you buy that, too, the price is really starting to get up there making a $100 bargain perhaps not as cheap as it seems.

I would grab it, even if just for parts. The cart frame and sides are SS for a start, you have the SS covers on the side tables, the SS grates, it's a D6 so it has the Roti and side burner.

The 'weldment' flavorizors are not cheap, but you would have a 'top of the line' cooking machine upon restoration.

Honestly the fire box is the big question mark here. They used mild steel porcelain coated. It seems the rear part never has an issue. It's the front part where the burners pass through that is the issue on all Summits. I have figured out that what happens is the metal expands and contracts at odd rates around the openings and cracks the porcelain allowing moisture and heat to destroy the metal and boom you have rust out/burn through. I believe you can still buy the fire box for this model Summit (which is a 2nd generation). First gen like mine no dice

FWIW, the flavorizer bars on the Summit D's are ridiculously expensive if you have to replace them. The reason for this is that the crossover tubes between each burner tube pair are in the middle of the grill. To avoid having this cause hot spots, the flavorizer bars have a cross bar along the the center and the main bars are tack welded in place. I've tried working with RCPlaner to come up with a decent and inexpensive solution and neither of us came up with one.

That said, the grill grates on this one appear to be the solid SS rods. Those should fit on Genny B/C's as well as 1000-5000's iirc. Even if the rest of the grill is trash, I'd offer $50 just for the grates (presuming they are in good order).

I'd ask the seller for more pics. A wide shot showing all of the grates. Same shot with the grates removed so you could see the FBs. Same shot with both grates and FBs removed so that you could see the burners, the igniter chambers, and some of the lower cook box.

Last edited:
Those grates will not fit the Genesis. That generation Summit is deeper front to back than a Genesis. Not by a lot but enough to prevent them from working

FWIW, the flavorizer bars on the Summit D's are ridiculously expensive if you have to replace them. The reason for this is that the crossover tubes between each burner tube pair are in the middle of the grill. To avoid having this cause hot spots, the flavorizer bars have a cross bar along the the center and the main bars are tack welded in place. I've tried working with RCPlaner to come up with a decent and inexpensive solution and neither of us came up with one.

in the first Generation of Summits (The model LMichaels has) the crossover tubes were located to the rear of the burners, with no flavorizer covering them. Because they have no protection from what falls from the grill plate above they seem to block and rot out often in machines that have a hard life.

IMO moving the the crossover tubes in the second generation of Summits to the centre of the burner, and covering them with a flavorizer bar had more to do with extending the life of the crossover tubes, stopping them from blocking up and more efficient ignition, than avoiding a hot spot.

In the third Generation (current model) each tube has has its own ignitor at the start of the burner tube, where no debris can fall. This also allows the flavorizer bars to revert to a simple straight bar, avoiding the obviously more expensive to manufacture bars fron the second Generation Summits.

"ridiculously expensive"? Compared to getting a SS frame, sides, grates etc. for $100, yes. But think about the total cost of a new 6 burner Summit..

Also, they are fun to restore....

Stephen, I really enjoyed your informative discussion of the three generations of Summit grills. I wish I had funds and time for this one, but I really don’t right now. Out of curiosity I did ask the seller for pictures of the front of the firebox. (I suppose this shows I am still tempted;).) I think these grills are kind of cool and the frame construction is way better than the third generation current model. The flavorizer bar cost does give pause, but if the firebox is still solid - admittedly a big if:confused: - it could be made into a great grill at a very fair price. The current model, one of which I am trying to restore for a charity, seems too cumbersome and imposing in some ways whereas the second generation seems lean and efficient in comparison.

Last edited:
I heard back from the seller who said he would get additional pictures posted this weekend. I guess I am having a hard time putting this one behind me:eek:

If it is still there, he isn't having much luck. If you do pull the trigger, I would expect you to get it for less than the $100 asking price. I would offer $50.

If it is still there, he isn't having much luck. If you do pull the trigger, I would expect you to get it for less than the $100 asking price. I would offer $50.

Appreciate the advice. I am trying to sell off a couple extra kettles right now and potential buyers definitely aren’t afraid to lowball:eek:! I am waiting to see if he will provide the pictures of the firebox. I looked closer at this Summit Platinum and a very similar Genesis Platinum and both look as if the frame itself is stainless. I had never heard of Weber using stainless square tube frames before.

Do you think I am seeing this correctly?

If this is really true I am a lot more interested even if it needs a lot of help inside. The rest of the closed in cabinet looks to be higher grade stainless so with an overhaul and good care I think this could be an exceptional grill for my South Florida steel eating environment. With its smoker box and infrared rear burner it has rotisserie cooking covered and plenty of room for most any situation.

I guess my temptation factor is rising:D!

Jon, the frame and sides are high quality SS.

I find the smoker box rather useless, so I take them out and make up more usable grill space. But each to their own.

I have not seen actual stainless used on any of the frames of those, but I honestly have not looked at many. In the Summit line I value their build quality as 1st gen (Summit 450/650/425/825 etc) as tops. Heaviest frames best overall design for ease of care and so on. Next I value the generation you're looking at. Last is the new ones. Everything about them screams flash over function and cost cutting over performance.
But honestly that one you're looking at may be worth grabbing for $50 especially if it's one you want to be a "keeper". The cooking grates alone are worth that

7860001_(2005)_WW_1.gif

Did a quick search on google for the grill something like summit platinum 2005 I believe it is stainless but I’m not familiar with the summit line frames, the frames have the side panels attached as part of the frame not sure how that works. As far as the genesis platinum one of same year. The frame is stainless tubing I’m in the process of working on one. If you guys are interested I can post my semi restore of a genesis platinum with the stainless frame.

Last edited:
Thanks all you guys for the helpful advice and info!

Leandro,
I, and I am sure others, would love to see pictures of your in progress on your Genesis. Also any advice on problem areas. Thanks again for pitching in.

I am thinking that if the similar Genesis Platinum has stainless frames then it is stands to reason that the Summit Platinum would as well. Confirmed by what Stephen R said. I never knew that, and it makes this grill a lot more attractive to me. It also points out that Weber really did take a step down on the third generation Summit, which in spite of its imposing presence and flashy looks is highly prone to rusted out cabinets and frame legs:mad:.

Last edited:
Those grates will not fit the Genesis. That generation Summit is deeper front to back than a Genesis. Not by a lot but enough to prevent them from working

I don't have a Summit of this Gen to go out and measure on, but all parts schematics that I have seen for Summit Silver/Gold/Platinum list Weber 9930 as the replacement grates. That's at Weber, Ereplacements and Appliancefactory parts. When you click on the part at Erplacements, it shows other grills that part is for, and for the 9930, it shows a bunch of Weber Genny's from the generations that I mentioned. I know for a fact that the 9930 grates fit just fine on a Weber Genny Gold because I have a pair of them, direct from Weber, on my 2004 Genn7.

Is it possible that there's some misprint and the 9930 grates don't actually fit the Summit Silver/Gold/Platinum ? I guess that's possible, but I don't think it's likely.

in the first Generation of Summits (The model LMichaels has) the crossover tubes were located to the rear of the burners, with no flavorizer covering them. Because they have no protection from what falls from the grill plate above they seem to block and rot out often in machines that have a hard life.

IMO moving the the crossover tubes in the second generation of Summits to the centre of the burner, and covering them with a flavorizer bar had more to do with extending the life of the crossover tubes, stopping them from blocking up and more efficient ignition, than avoiding a hot spot.

In the third Generation (current model) each tube has has its own ignitor at the start of the burner tube, where no debris can fall. This also allows the flavorizer bars to revert to a simple straight bar, avoiding the obviously more expensive to manufacture bars fron the second Generation Summits.

"ridiculously expensive"? Compared to getting a SS frame, sides, grates etc. for $100, yes. But think about the total cost of a new 6 burner Summit..

Also, they are fun to restore....

That all makes sense. I wanted to be sure to highlight the cost of them so that OP would know going in. When you are used to paying $45 or so for Flavorizer bars for Genny's, finding out that the set for your Summit will be $150 or more can be kind of a shock. The other problem that I should have mentioned is actually sourcing them.

As to the frame, looking at the pic in the first post, I'm not seeing a stainless steel one. the only "Weber" SS frame that I have seen is the Vieuluxe or whatever. Pretty sure the Summit frame is powder coated. That said, as with Genesis grills of the time, the frames are usually rock solid.

As to the frame, looking at the pic in the first post, I'm not seeing a stainless steel one. the only "Weber" SS frame that I have seen is the Vieuluxe or whatever. Pretty sure the Summit frame is powder coated. That said, as with Genesis grills of the time, the frames are usually rock solid.

They are an SS frame. Really. Not as rock solid as the first Generation Summits, but OK.

Which reminds me of another small problem with them. The fittings that are used to bolt them together sometimes are not all SS and rot out. Not very logical when you think about it.

Another problem is that the AL side plates of the hood are painted an odd grey colour, which is hard to find in a spray can.

Ah, The Vieuluxe. My Holy Grail. Never seen one in Australia, doubt they came here. I would be all over one if I could find one.

I really shouldn't be thinking about yet another Summit, but all this information everyone has been sharing does make this one more appealing than when I first saw it. I guess it comes down to the condition of the firebox. I could definitely see picking this up and in time getting the burners and even the high-priced flavorizers replaced. With some good cleanup, replacement of bolts, treating stainless with Everbrite it could be made to look great.

If the infrared works and you add a rotisserie, you would have a pretty sweet grill. With good care it would also be a grill that has a better chance in my climate than even a classic Genesis.

I am currently working on restoring several older Genesis grills, and while they are way tougher than the new models even these eventually suffer from frame rust.

Still waiting on pictures of the inside from the "Offerer" who was out of town until this weekend. I will keep you posted.

For the grates, my brother has a Summit of that generation and it had the stamped grates at first. HE asked me to over haul it for him and get him some "real" grates. I ordered grates for it from RCPLanebuyer and when they came I tried fitting them to my Genesis and they would not fit. They are too long (front to back). I tried fitting the grates from my own Summit 450 and they "fell in". I have seen a few Genesis platinums BTW and never once say a stainless frame. The frame was powder coated in a gray/silver color to look like SS. Also the Summit line grills I have seen of the 2nd generation had frames that were not SS but powder coated to have a stainless "look". Perhaps Weber sent different AKA better product to Australia? But honestly the only Weber product I have ever laid eyes on with SS frame was a Vieluxe which I would really like to get my hands on

Back