HM Software Issue-Disc Image Corrupted?

Adam Sherman

I was just wondering if anyone has had trouble recently downloading software for their HM. I followed the instructions for the HM website. After downloading the file if I click on it I get an error. It says "Couldn't Mount File" "The disc image is corrupted". When I go to Win32 and try to write it to the microSD card I get a "Write Error - 1.0" "An error occurred when attempting to write data to handle. Error 5: Access is denied."
I will admit I am not the best when it comes to computers. If everything works as it should I'm fine but when something like this happens I'm lost. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Hi Adam, I only have experience with the Win32 side so maybe I can help you there. In Win32DiskImager, make sure when you launch it that it asks for Administrator permission and you accept it, doing a raw write to a disk device requires this. If your user account on the PC does not have admin rights, this won't work at all. Next make sure the drive selected (in the "Device" dropdown) in the application is the correct drive. Sometimes an SD card might show up as two drives as well, so if one doesn't work, try the other. You can insert and remove the SD card device while Win32DiskImager is running and see what drive letters come and go in that Device dropdown to help identify the drive. Finally, make sure there's no write protect tab on the adapter you're using to insert it into the PC (sometimes labeled as LOCK). If the tab is in the lock position, it can't be written to.

Thanks for the response Bryan. I have tried this on my computer at home and at work with the same results. I don't recall Win32DiscImager asking for Administrator permission but I will try again and see what happens.

I tried it again with the same results. I didn't see anything about administrator pemission but there is a screen that pops up after opening Win32DiscImager asking if it is ok for the program to make changes to the hard drive on my computer. I clicked "yes".

Also I was wondering how big the download is supposed to be. It seems like I read somewhere it was around 80mb but I only seem to be downloading 28mb

Any thoughts?

Thanks Dave. I found it but made no difference. I also found if I right click the downloaded file and select Properties and then the Security tab that I can select Full Control allowing the ability to read, write, modify, etc. I really thought this would get me up and going but no luck. I'm still wondering if the problem is in the download itself. Has anyone else had "The disc image file is corrupted" message. I think I need to solve this first? I'll report what I figure out.

28MB is the proper size of the download for a pre-configured image. You shouldn't double click on it or anything once you've gotten it, because it isn't a file type that windows should recognize. If that's where you're getting the error about the image being corrupt, then don't worry about that, just don't double click it. It can only be written from Win32DiskImager. A quick google search says it could be an antivirus program, or possibly some other application trying to scan your SD card, preventing anything from getting an exclusive lock on it. Another option is that the card needs to be blanked out completely before writing it using the SD Association's official SD Formatter.

Bryan you were right. I blanked out the SD card and went through the steps. Everything seams to be working as it should. Thanks again

Awesome! Glad you got it worked out. I'm glad the internet thought of that solution because I never would have thought to try that.

Back