Just did a first cook ion my $20 Genesis B

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So as the title says. Back in November IIRC I saw this Genesis B NG on CL for $20. So I called the guy and since I was going to be seeing my dad in the NW burbs of Chicago that PM I made arrangements to pick it up. Nice little grill but in the dark I didn't know how nice until next day as seen here https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72537-some-pics-of-new-acquisition-(hopefully)
Well I tucked it away in the garage and yesterday decided it was a warm day I'd do a quick and dirty NG to LP conversion. Those of you who doubt me on why simply changing orifices pay attention here BTW. So off to Menard's and a quick purchase of a Charbroil universal regulator/hose and home to some brand new orifice spuds. Checked my chart for as close to 12k per as possible for orifice size. Opened them up, cleaned the burners (which BTW are still shiny!), all FB's are in decent shape but one which is crumbling but I figured what the hell use it. Did a quick scrape down on the little bit of crud and found even the side bolt through the frame is good and turns freely in the fire box! The bare CI grates have a slight "patina" so I fired it up did a thorough brush down than a liberal seasoning. Because the first cook was going to be Filet Mignon steaks I put them in flat side up for larger contact/sear area.
At first I thought it had the continuously variable valves but no. So I forged ahead. These models get hot FAST. Much faster than the older style. Temp gauge ripped right around past 550 to I guess around 600+ but here is the kicker even on low it stays HOT in the 500 give/take range. No temp control. Regardless I went forward with first cook and got nicely crusted steaks great marks and quick cook. Had to partially shut down to control heat but great little grill. I may search out and invest in an LP manifold for it. Though come spring it'll go back on NG while the Summit and Wolf go through their refurb processes. Overall for $20 great little investment. Very pleased. I'll also do a deep cleaning and minor refurb on it (stainless side bolt with never seize, power wash, good scrub on the lid and so on) But for now I have a "full sized" grill to use. Without pulling out one of the big guys and all the trouble those covers are.
BTW a favor. If someone could post how the LP tank is hung on these I would appreciate. I have 2 hangers but they're for older 1000/2xxx etc. They don't fit. Too big

Last edited:
Judging by the pictures, it looks like it's missing the holder for the tank. The flat metal part that goes from the upper to the lower frame, where the propane tank gauge goes.

Yah, larry, you are completely missing the LP tank bracket. Makes sense if the grill was built for NG.

The tank hanger for that grill consists of the gauge and then two bumpers on the bottom rail to keep the tank from hitting the frame.

Here is a photo of one of my Silver B's. The gauge/tank holder and bumpers are shown by the arrows.

lsujMzG.jpg

Could you shoot me a closeup of that arrangement? I may be able to scrounge something together with parts I have on hand

I had one that I removed from my grill when I converted to NG, but then used it on a refurb I did for my cousin! Otherwise I could have sent it to you.

Bruce, I don't have one to take a picture of ...

I've got a couple scales but they're from the older style. DOn't fit like that any more since the new "b" style has a smaller frame

Larry, I have 8 or 9 grills, but I am not sure any of them have that system. Besides, most of them are out on the trailer in the back yard covered up. Here is a link to the scale on ereplacementparts.com
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/tank-scale-p-1476276.html

I just checked and the Silver C in my garage has that style of tank scale. Here is a video of it.

I also have a donor grill, but it is taken apart and boxed up on a shelf in the garage. I don't know which type of scale it had on it. If you can wait until spring, I would be willing to consider parting with it if I have one.

Last edited:
OK looks like the same scale just a different bracket. I think I can come up with something for that.

Good deal. Good luck. Let us know what you fab up. Personally, I think those gauges are worthless. I would be happier with a simple hook for the tank.

Actually that's all I want. But actually if you calibrate the gauge well and keep it lubed so it moves freely they're really quite accurate

Back