Proud dad moment...

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
Alright, this past Christmas season was brutal. 60+hour weeks and no slowing down. My 17yr old son helped out by taking over all of the weekly grilling duties. He became quite good using our Q-200 at making burgers, chicken, and pork chops. Fast forward to this past Saturday evening....
My wife and I were both not able to make it home in time for supper, and both of my sons had a friend over for the night. I was greeted with the aroma of burgers on the Q as I walked up the sidewalk when I finally got home. He decided to grill burgers and cook tater tots for the group rather than do something in the microwave, ororder out!
Just thought I'd share,
Tim

A couple of years back my grand daughter said she didn’t think it was right for me to cook my own birthday dinner so, she did all the sides while I grilled the steaks, I was impressed. She did really well, Especially for a 13 year old!

Congrats on handing down the grilling duties Tim. I too in the last year or two got my son savy on the grill. I have yet to get him up to speed on the clean up, if you're successful at that, let me know your secret

That's good news and bad news.
You can no longer be assured of having food in the house simply because it requires cooking. Now, nothing is safe from the insatiable teenage appetite. It's going to get expensive!
:)

That's good news and bad news.
You can no longer be assured of having food in the house simply because it requires cooking. Now, nothing is safe from the insatiable teenage appetite. It's going to get expensive!
:)

So true! Tonight he asked if we would buy some asparagus for him to grill the next time he does burgers!! My wife and I just looked at each other stunned...

I would rather spend money filing my pantry if my kids would cook and eat at home before going out for a burger or something. at home you know what is in the food, it builds the right character that he will use the rest of his life, he will learn to cook new foods,( which he is already talking about) . I would be way more than proud if my kids did this.

Now is time to expand his cooking to new foods types, Mexican,asian,etc, then sit back and enjoy.

I would rather spend money filing my pantry if my kids would cook and eat at home before going out for a burger or something. at home you know what is in the food, it builds the right character that he will use the rest of his life, he will learn to cook new foods,( which he is already talking about) . I would be way more than proud if my kids did this.

Now is time to expand his cooking to new foods types, Mexican,asian,etc, then sit back and enjoy.

This is too true. Last night Nick was about to put the burgers on "his" grill, and he looks at me and says...
"Ya know what, I think I'd like to try cooking other foods, like maybe some kind of Chinese food. Do you think we could do it?"...
Time to start looking up some recipes...
Thanks again for all kind words,
Tim

Great story.

Much better than coming home to a smell of stale beer, empty beer cans and blaring music.

That's awesome. Been having my boys grill with me for a few years, but don't think they would take the initiative to fire up the grill without me and cook something. I do remind them it is a basic requirement for their man card

Back