Reverse Sear Chuck Eyes

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

I was inspired by Chris' Reverse Sear Griddle technique and had decided to add it to the list for the next time I picked up some ribeyes. I was perusing the meat case at WM on Friday when I noticed they had some pretty nice looking chuck eyes (which doesn't happen very often at my WM). I grabbed them up and decided to channel my inner Chris Allingham and RS those suckers. I decided to do the entire cook in my 26.5" Kettle. Here are some pics of the proceedings:
haS9S1t.jpg

Prepped Some Crashers (EVOO, KS, BP)

qrNVlWR.jpg

Wrapped some 'Gus Bundles with Par-cooked Bacon - Marinated with Zoe's Kitchen Greek Salad Dressing

OBQzYM8.jpg

Dry Brined Chuck Eyes Prepped for the Grill (EVOO, KS, BP)

nm4nZ4q.jpg

Mid Cook - IT of 95 (after cooking at 300F) - Cast Iron on Direct to Heat Up - Grill Wide Open Now

Sizzle Vid
QuFvqg8.mp4
QuFvqg8.mp4

Searing in Cast Iron After Reaching 110F IT- 45 Seconds per Side - Pulled to Rest

5uF93fF.jpg

Crashers and 'Gus on Direct - Fire Damped Again

2u5Ktav.jpg

Plated

This turned out very well. I loved the texture of the steak seared on the hot cast iron (my pan was at 650F+ for the sear portion). Sides were well received. Chuck eye is a perfect cut for this technique IMO. The dry brine makes it super tender and the chuck eye has tremendous flavor. I will definitely do this technique again but next time I will use both grills so I can work the veggies and the steaks simultaneously and not have to wait for the grill to ramp up or cool down as I change courses. Thanks for looking...

Regards,

John

Last edited:
Perfect cook John, our WM never has chuck eyes or anybody else around here. Love the flavor of them, but just not available very often.

John you can pass a plate of that this way. Fantastic cook, love the rib eyes and the Gus Bundles.

Back