Be careful before buying a used Summit!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Here's an update on my $100 bargain purchase of an 8-year old Summit.

xlfbpl.jpg

Most of you know - but perhaps some do not - that the firebox on the Summit (including the current version) is NOT made of a single piece of cast aluminum. Unlike the Genesis, whose firebox will last for decades if not abused, the Summit for some unknown reason uses STEEL in the lower portion of the firebox. As L Michaels has pointed out, the front part of this arrangement is particularly subject to rust-through which in time can make your firebox unsafe and unusable. Larry had this happen to his earlier version Summit and didn't get much support from Weber:mad:.

In one last gasp of grill renovations before I sink into tax preparation season oblivion:p, I got a friend to help me disassemble the Summit I picked up back at Thanksgiving time. Unfortunately, not only was the bottom of the frame enclosure rusted out, but here is the firebox:

24uyd90.jpg

2le45ki.jpg

I am not really surprised, but I am now that much more wary :eek:of these Summit grills. Maybe the size of the Summit makes it difficult to make the entire firebox from one cast piece of aluminum. If not, it is hard to come up with a good explanation of why Weber would use steel that is doomed to rust-though in the most critical part of the grill. Combine that with the decision to use painted steel for the lower frame and enclosure - especially the bottom where water collects - and you have to ask yourself why someone should pay over $2000 for one of these:confused:.

I am pinning my hopes on my friend the sheet metal shop owner to see what he can come up with. This grill is another charity project, so I don't feel like forking out ~$400 for a replacement firebox that will also have the same steel pieces. If I had been the original owner, I MIGHT have been able to prevail in a warranty argument with Weber since the grill is less than 10 years old. I am not, so I can't. If you already own a Summit or know someone who does, I would be sure to register my ownership and the actual date of original purchase. Then I would make a CAREFUL check of the part of the firebox where the burner tubes come in on a regular basis so that you can make a claim in time.

Minus the potential of having a sheet metal expert help you out on a bargain basis, I would recommend to those looking at used Summits to consider instead buying 2 Genesis grills. The total cooking space would be more and the versatility higher. Parts are more plentiful and more reasonably priced, as well. Best of all, the firebox on Genesis grills is all cast aluminum:).

Last edited:
Yah, Jon, I would stick with the tried and true Genesis line. Besides, even if you rehab one of those things, it isn't likely you will be able to sell it for a premium price. When people buy a used grill, they don't expect to pay a lot, no matter how well done the rehab is.

Yah, Jon, I would stick with the tried and true Genesis line. Besides, even if you rehab one of those things, it isn't likely you will be able to sell it for a premium price. When people buy a used grill, they don't expect to pay a lot, no matter how well done the rehab is.

Yes, very good advice. These grills are beguiling because of their size, special features, and, it is probably also true, because of their pride appeal of being the top of the line. I have definitely fallen prey to that:eek:. In this particular instance I also thought the large grill space and six burners would be a nice thing for our college cafeteria. I am still going to try to make it work for them, but in the future I will try to follow my own advice and go with two Genesis grills :blackgenesis::blackgenesis:to meet similar situations.

Last edited:
I am sure you can get it fixed up nicely and have a real nice six burner which is probably perfect for something like a college cafeteria. But, yah, if you are looking at it for resale, it would be a tougher sell than a nicely done genesis three burner. Good luck with the rehab on that thing. Keep us posted on how it goes.

If you have a sheet metal friend I would be interested to see what he'd charge to make a new front panel for my 4 burner Summit. As even my replacement is starting to go.

If you have a sheet metal friend I would be interested to see what he'd charge to make a new front panel for my 4 burner Summit. As even my replacement is starting to go.

Larry, I am going to be st his shop on Wednesday afternoon. Could you send me a couple pictures and maybe some size specs so I can show them to him?

Part of what makes the weber genesis grill so special is their durability. And a big part of that is the cast aluminum firebox. Even the Spirit line has a cast aluminum firebox. It's unfathomable that weber wouldn't do the same for their top of the line Summit grills.

It is a fad really. Stainless has been a big thing in the kitchen for years and more and more is creeping outdoors. The problem is, outdoor grills might not be the same as a toaster, refrigerator or even oven in the kitchen. The heat and elements combine to tear up even stainless when they are clearly using the cheaper grades of stainless. If it was all 304 stainless, then they might have something. But, they are using cheap chinese stuff mostly. The heat and elements will combine to eat up that cheap stainless pretty fast.

Part of what makes the weber genesis grill so special is their durability. And a big part of that is the cast aluminum firebox. Even the Spirit line has a cast aluminum firebox. It's unfathomable that weber wouldn't do the same for their top of the line Summit grills.

Does anyone know if the Genesis II line continues that trend of cast aluminum fireboxes?

Does anyone know if the Genesis II line continues that trend of cast aluminum fireboxes?

Yes definitely still cast aluminium. I'll disagree with Lmichaels. Comparing it to my old genesis 1000 The new ones are only slightly thinner. In my opinion anyway.

Every single used Summit I have looked at was rusted through on the front panel and down in the frame and cabinet.
I used one for a while after I made a scab panel that I riveted over the existing front firebox panel. I used a stainless diswasher door panel that already had a nice 90 degree bend. Eventually, the whole thing just got so bad that I rolled it out to the curb.

Every single used Summit I have looked at was rusted through on the front panel and down in the frame and cabinet.
I used one for a while after I made a scab panel that I riveted over the existing front firebox panel. I used a stainless diswasher door panel that already had a nice 90 degree bend. Eventually, the whole thing just got so bad that I rolled it out to the curb.

Unfortunately, style prevailed over durability, especially in the current version of the Summit. I have been following a second generation Summit on OfferUp. See my “Another Summit” thread. At least this version seems to have quality stainless in the lower cabinet and frame. However, it, too, has the steel front in its firebox. I still wonder why they would not have just made it from one piece of aluminum.:confused:

Back