What do you shave with?

Standing in the shaving aisle at the grocery i gasp at the cost of razor cartridges. I wont be held hostage anymore. I've looked into DE safety razors and ordered a kit for beginners. The cost is substantially less than cartridges, although it does require a different technique. My kit should arrive this coming week, and I expect a few nicks along the way. It seems everyone says "my grandpa used one of them". Yep, back when men didnt have all of the disposable things from today and shaving was not a chore but more about presentation and a nice treat for baby butt smooth shave. Yes I'm excited about my new shaves.

Nice clean shave when it's sharp ;)

young-man-shaving-having-fun-machete-cream-foam-large-knife-handsome-guy-removing-beard-hair-skin-care-hygiene-humor-72324944.jpg

Norelco cordless rechargeable. It is about 6 years old and still works great. Those cartridge razors might
Be one of the most high profit items around.

Been using Braun rechargeable shavers since I was in college. I've been through 4, I think in about 30 years.

Joined the DS club, $9 a month, free shipping, 5 blade razor cartridges. I throw 1 away a week and don’t worry about having to make them last and cutting myself with a full razor and not being able to find my kind in the store when I need them. Seemed like a no brainer.

I don't have real heavy growth, so I have a 30 year Gillette Atra that I buy a refill for about once a year

I started getting mine from Dorco, I don’t go through them very quickly so I only need to order about once a year. Now and then I do treat myself to a straight shave from a barber. The straight shave is pretty nice, pampering before or after a big cook is kind of nice.

I started getting mine from Dorco, I don’t go through them very quickly so I only need to order about once a year. Now and then I do treat myself to a straight shave from a barber. The straight shave is pretty nice, pampering before or after a big cook is kind of nice.
I just got my DE kit yesterday with astra platinum blades. This will be a new experience for me so i have alot of technique to learn.

I just got my DE kit yesterday with astra platinum blades. This will be a new experience for me so i have alot of technique to learn.

Hot towel before, do you have a brush and mug? I prefer that to can shaving soap I think it makes the beard softer. I usually run the tap full on hot and soak a washcloth on my face before I start applying a nice rich foamy brush!
The learning curve for maintaining a straight razor is not quick. Or is this the one with disposable blades?

Yes i got a synthetic brush. For now I'm going to use a coffee mug until i get a scuttle. Who knows, maybe I'll face lather once i learn how to properly build my lather.

A badger brush is (seriously)much more comfortable on the face. Worth the investment!!
Trick is not to use as much water as you think when you build the lather. A shortcut is using the tube stuff and then brush that on your face to build lather. It doesn’t take anywhere near as much as you think.
The “C.W. Bigelow” from bath and body works is pretty nice, they do the tube stuff, I think they do cup bars. But I don’t remember. I use the tube when traveling and even wi5put a brush it does really well.

Hi Brian,

Have been shaving daily for 56 years. Started in the 6th grade using an electric. After a couple of years, switched to DE. Stayed with the DE through my employment at Disney, while riding Uncle Sam's WWII destroyers, and finally while working in the heavy mining industry. Late 90's switched to a single edge safety. Switched back to the DE just 5 years ago due to cost. All of my old DEs were Gillette with most being the adjustable versions. Wilkinson Sword was the blade brand used most often. Until recently, used cream from those pressurized cans.

Now I use Merkur 34C DE and Personna Prep DE blades. Sure miss those Gillette adjustable shavers. The Merkur 34C is not that aggressive so added a shim spacer just to get a somewhat close shave. Not that much luck with shaving soaps. Might be our hard water. Found Cremo to be good solution to my problem. Even have a straight edge/cut throat, but chicken to try it. Hands aren't as steady as they used to be…

A couple of manufactures and products that may be helpful to you during your DE journey…

Astra (of course !)
Personna Double Edge Prep Blades
Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated Blades
Cremo Shave Cream (found to be a big help when shaven Very close)
Phoenix Shaving (super soaps and fragrances) https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/
Thayers Witch Hazel

Wishing you the very best in your journey.

Is this what the hipsters are doing now? I can't keep up.

Edit: actually these look pretty cool...

Last edited:
Thanks, and I've read about those G.I. Issued shave kits. Theres ton of info out there as well as companies that offer products, stirlingsoap company is one which I'll try soon. I'm for sure far from a hipster, i just cant stand spending the money on expensive razor cartridges anymore. I need more money for bbq.

Back