Soldering Tips-n-Tricks

WBegg

TVWBB Pro
Thought I'd start a new thread to generate some pointers on proper soldering techniques, and how to achieve great solder joints to avoid that "Magic Blue Smoke" that can ruin a good day, and cause someone to go a bit insane trying to track down what went wrong.

I am, by no means, a Solder Master, but have made the mistakes and found/discovered answers to avoid such mistakes over several projects.

I'll start the thread with some points that I see relevant to this project:

1. Use a good Soldering Iron. When I say good, I don't mean a $200 Hakko or such, but at least an iron that has an adjustable temperature control. There are plenty of decent soldering stations on E-bay/Amazon that will fit the bill. This one works well, and won't break the bank. Be sure to get a variety of tip sizes, as you will need to match the component you are soldering. Generally, a small chisel tip will be your go-to, and you can use for most or all of the project, but be prepared.

2. Use the right solder. The right size and composition solder can make things much easier. For the Heatermeter, I would suggest a roll of 0.015" (0.4mm) for most of the components, and a roll of 0.032" (0.8mm) for the large stuff such as the power jack and input jacks. You may be tempted to buy Silver Solder. DON"T. It's really hard to solder without getting cold joints, and it's overall hard to work with. Use 60/40 or 63/37 (Tin/Lead, or SN/PB). Make sure it's a flux core solder, meaning there is a flux in the core of the strand that allows the solder to flow more easily, and resist oxidation.

3. Use a magnifier. Use some sort of magnifier to inspect your solder joints. This may be a simple magnifying glass that you used last week to burn ants, or something as elaborate as a USB microscope. I use a hand lense, and also have a USB Microscope that I can see on a big screen for inspection. This comes in especially handy with the thermocouple portion of the board that is comprised of VERY small surface mount components. Here is a picture of the TC section hand soldered under a USB scope. It can be done.

uESA1JR.jpg

Scopes are cheap these days. I bought mine for $39

4. Get in and Get Out. Meaning, don't stay on a solder joint too long. This is the fastest way to destroy a component. Certain components, such as resistors, can tolerate quite a bit of heat while others, such as transistors, will go south quite quickly if high heat is applied too long. Temperature of the iron plays an important role as well. I keep mine mostly at about 650-680 for most soldering.

5. Additional tools. When you mess up, and we all do, you'll need a way to remove a component. Get a desoldering pump and some solder wick. It can be tough to desolder through plated holes, but be patient, and remember not to stay on the joint too long, or pads will lift.

Just a few bits and bobs I've run into over building a few HMs.

Last edited:
So, this is why I use a USB microscope for the TC section of the heatermeter board. The chip on the right is the AD849X thermocouple amplifier. The coin on the left is a US dime.

WR6zvUL.jpg

Yeah what you got there? :-D Is that TC amp soldered? Because man that is one clean clean job there.

I bought a cheap USB one a few years ago for part inspection and it does a great job at magnifying stuff but can only do 640x480 at 30fps, 800x600 at 20fps, 1024x768 and all the HD resolutions are 15fps or 10fps so they're rather unusable for real-time work. The arm that holds the camera also has a lot of slop in it and the camera can rotate so it is fun to align the camera such that moving the work piece moves the image in a way my brain can comprehend.

To add to Will`s excellent information post, you always want to use the smallest tip on your iron. Match the tip to the pad. You always apply heat to the pad/land, not to the wire or components lead. Apply heat to the pad for about long enough so the pad will melt the solder and make the connection. make sure you wipe the tip on your sponge prior to applying heat to the pad. I always re-tin my tip about every 10 connections and then finish with a quick wipe on the sponge before soldering more connections. Never a apply a soldering iron with a tip full of solder to your connection. You could fry and transistor or even warp a land pad which is real bad. The secret is a cleaned, tinned tip that is sized properly to the land pad. I generally use 25 -35 watt irons for most of my soldering.

Yeah what you got there? :-D Is that TC amp soldered? Because man that is one clean clean job there.

Yeah, it's soldered. I do a "drag" solder with a chisel tip. i load the pads down with flux, place the component then drag the iron across the legs with a solder loaded tip. The flux sucks the solder onto the pins. I then use solder wick to remove any excess or bridges. I discovered a long time ago to use a good brand of solder wick, as the cheap stuff doesn't work very efficiently.

Yeah, it's soldered. I do a "drag" solder with a chisel tip. i load the pads down with flux, place the component then drag the iron across the legs with a solder loaded tip. The flux sucks the solder onto the pins. I then use solder wick to remove any excess or bridges. I discovered a long time ago to use a good brand of solder wick, as the cheap stuff doesn't work very efficiently.

I do similar,

I also believe that you shouldn't get cheap solder wick. I used to get the cheap stuff and once I bought a good sized roll of Chem-wick, I'll never get cheap wick again. That stuff will pick up every trace of solder very quickly.

Will,

I don't do enough soldering to keep 0.4 mm and 0.8 mm solder around. Do you think a compromise of 0.6 mm for all the joints would work?

I appreciate these tips.

-Dave

Will,

I don't do enough soldering to keep 0.4 mm and 0.8 mm solder around. Do you think a compromise of 0.6 mm for all the joints would work?

I appreciate these tips.

-Dave

0.6 is fine. I used to use .032" (0.8mm) all the time.

Back