my first trip to Penzeys

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I love Penzeys online store and was a little letdown by my 2 minute visit.

First thing I did was encounter the nice woman working & she asked if she could help me with anything, I asked she knew of any spices from Argentina, she thought for a second, said not that she could think of, so I asked where the dried peppers were and I've been spoiled by a few of our local Mexican markets.

I've read that the dried peppers should be pliable etc so I grabbed the first package of New Mexico chiles iirc, felt it, bent it, & it snapped & slightly punctured the bag! I set it back and walked out. I had a few minutes to kill a couple hours later and did a quick phone search & saw there was a Rancho Market 5 miles from where I was. Walked in & there & they had a display of peppers probably 6' high by >10' long that had a wide variety of bagged & some in bins. I grabbed four 6oz (just checked, I thought they were 1# each), guajillo & new Mexico @ $2/each - they were much softer & pliable like I was hoping for. I even practiced my Spanish very quietly with the cajera (cashier). (((trece con seis I think she said for $13.06---got a couple oranges and a can of chipotles in adobo sauce too)

Penzey's online had a much greater variety weight-wise.... the peppers @ this penzeys were only available in 1 oz or 4 oz bags. I shouldn't complain, it just didn't live up to how I'd built it up in my mind, & I didn't browse much, not enough to judge.........................I guess how big did I expect a spice store to be (had to be >1500 square foot showroom). I'll talk to my neighbor who's a great baker/cook. Maybe they had more in the back, if not for the peppers, I'm sure they probably had everything else I might need.

Barb and I have been to the Penzeys in Phoenix which is a 200 mile RT. It's a store about the same size as a stop and rob. When we found out that if you spent $30.00 the shipping was free we haven't been back to the store. Now they don't mail out catalogs anymore and the only source is their web site, so that's what we use.
Their garlic powder and seasoned black pepper along with their chili powders are outstanding.

Sorry you were disappointed in what you found at the Penzey's store, Clint, but sounds like you found what you needed down the street! I concur with RichD that everything I have ordered online from Penzey's has been excellent......in particular, their chili powders are quite good.

R

I like their bold taco seasoning.

Put 4 tbs taco seasoning, 1tsp of crushed jalapeno, and 3/4 cup of hot water per lb of ground beef in a Mason jar. Shake it up and let the spices hydrated while your browning the ground beef.

The crushed jalapeno adds some nice heat to the mix.

their Bold Taco is definitely my favorite of their spice mixes, and I just ran out yesterday. I'll swing back in now that I have a reason, if only to grab what's available there, and I took a quick look at their spice containers, maybe I'll grab a couple of those since it's hard to figure out what they're like online.

thanks for sharing your method - I'll try that too.

Yep, my dad used Penzeys all the way back when the catalog was a mimeographed typed three page list!
I’m sad to see the print catalog disappear but, I understand. They do some things very well, the Italian seasoning blend is nice and the Herbes de Provence are as well. Sorry the peppers were a disappointment, I like to use some of the little mom and pop grocery stores when I can. There used to be a great Mexican place about forty minutes away but, they ended up closing both the restaurant and the market.

their Bold Taco is definitely my favorite of their spice mixes, and I just ran out yesterday. I'll swing back in now that I have a reason, if only to grab what's available there, and I took a quick look at their spice containers, maybe I'll grab a couple of those since it's hard to figure out what they're like online.

thanks for sharing your method - I'll try that too.

I buy the taco seasoning by the 3 cup bag since you use 4 tbs for a lb of beef. I use one of their D 2cup jars for storage. It doesn't hold the whole bag but its a lot more handy for scooping.

Back