22" Red LE at Home Depot $150

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Not sure if this low of a price has been posted before for the red Limited Edition.
May not be at all HD stores.
My local one had 4 or 5 in boxes and 1 on display.

I've heard that one reason the LE sales are off is because it's made in China. I've seen where people have asked (Home Depot Questions) if the LE is made in China, and Weber has replied that anything made in the US or China, exceeds Weber's high standards. In other words, Weber isn't denying that it's made in China

Made in China is on the box, if you can find it.
Last time I was in Lowes they still had 12 boxes out on the floor, $180 each.

None at my Home Depot, and $199 on line. My Lowe's has 13 of 'em for $149 (each) though.

Yeah, it's not a secret, Made in China is clearly printed on the box. And when a member here suggested the LE lid felt less substantial than other kettles, I weighed them and found that the LE lid in fact weighs more than lids on standard kettle models. I think it's plausible that the early reports of quality problems with the red finish spooked some potential buyers.

Am I the only person that doesn't like Red Weber BBQ's?.
I was offered a free Weber charcoal BBQ last weekend, and when I went to see it, it was Red.... I said thanks but no thanks.

Am I the only person that doesn't like Red Weber BBQ's?.
I was offered a free Weber charcoal BBQ last weekend, and when I went to see it, it was Red.... I said thanks but no thanks.

I think red is a cool color, but I also like black. A lot of people must because it is so common. I think that when you move from just what color looks good to sentimental and collector status then the black is viewed as a “dime a dozen” and the rarer colors become way more desired. Since red has not been in production for a long time, there is a pent up demand for it. Same thing goes for gas grills. Most people on this forum seem to greatly prefer “redheads” but for me a “brunette” (black) classic Genesis gas grill with wood slats looks sharper than a similar red one. But it is all in the eyes of the beholder!

Yeah, it's not a secret, Made in China is clearly printed on the box. And when a member here suggested the LE lid felt less substantial than other kettles, I weighed them and found that the LE lid in fact weighs more than lids on standard kettle models. I think it's plausible that the early reports of quality problems with the red finish spooked some potential buyers.

Chris,
I am hoping to hear of improvements in these red kettles. Maybe the early production had quality control and shipping issues that can be worked out. I think we would all be interested to hear any updates you pick up on.

I might pay a significant bargain price for the subpar red kettles I saw in Home Depot around Christmas, but I would sooner buy a new crimson or black grill before paying the original price or even this discount.

I believe I just hit post #200! Thanks for all you do to give us this fun and very informative forum.
Jon

I bought 2 of these at walmart ($149) AND they both had serious enamel defects. Returned them both after I contacted a Weber supervisor and he gave me the runaround. Buy a black and don't look back.

I bought 2 of these at walmart ($149) AND they both had serious enamel defects. Returned them both after I contacted a Weber supervisor and he gave me the runaround. Buy a black and don't look back.

Sure is disappointing...Maybe try to pick up a vintage red in nice condition? They aren't that commonly for sale that I see, but they are out there. You can get them with the one-touch sweep and add the pan and pan holder if you need to. The old ones seem to have been built well and if not abused will clean up very nicely. You can even buy new replica wood handles with the Weber logo if you want to go all out.

Back