10 Pound Butt

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've had this guy in the freezer for a while now and finally got around to smoking it. This was a really fun cook. On Sunday night I injected it using Chris Lilly's Injection recipe. Rubbed it down with his rub also. Got it on the smoker at 9:49 pm, just before going to bed. Several nice hunks of peach wood for smoke. Let it roll at 225 all night. Got up Monday morning around 7:00 am. Checked progress on my CYberQ and it was cruising along at around 158 IT and continued to do so for nearly six hours before breaking the stall and creeping up. Did not use foil for the cooking portion of this cook. I refueled at the 12 1/2 hour mark. Probably could had gone another hour or so but knew I'd have to do it at some point anyway. Took nearly 22 hours to achieve 195 IT. I jacked up my smoker temp to 300 to get the last 8 degrees. Took about a half hour. Probed and this baby was done. Probe just glided into the meat with little or no resistance. After tenting on the counter for around 15 minutes I gave it a couple of hours cooler time. Probably one of the best Butts I've done in a long time. Here's the pic's.

All rubbed down.

enhance

10 PM Sunday night.

enhance

12 1/2 hour mark.

enhance

I lost track. I believe this was around the 17 hour mark. I only pulled the lid 2 or three times during the entire smoke.

enhance

enhance

Resting, around 7:30 pm Monday evening.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Last edited:
Threw together a little potato salad earlier in the day.

enhance

I had some sauce I'd made in the freezer, Killer Hogs recipe, and used that on what we would eat last night. Tasty.

enhance

The buns were Onion Rolls.

enhance

This was a really fun cook. Low and slow is my game and gives me great pleasure. Hope you're all having a good week and thank you for looking.

I know a lot of people do hot 'n fast, but low 'n slow is the way to roll.

IMO, if you're in a hurry, you just didn't plan right. We already know the food is good, but it's the experiences we live that makes up enjoy life. :)

enhance

You sure did that right. Can't believe the bark on that pork! Would love to have some of that potato salad and a sandwich.

Loooooong cook, but perfect results. I for one couldn't handle a 22 hour cook. I envy you for having that much patience.

Back