Salt-Crusted Tri-Tip

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
I have been wanting to try cooking a Salt-Crusted Tri-Tip for some time & had been waiting for a sale.
So when one came up.... I asked the dude at the meat counter for an untrimmed Tri-Tip with a fat cap on one side.
He went through all the ones in the display case & they all had areas that had been trimmed. Finally, he says wait while I go check in back.
He returned a while later with one that was perfect for my use. It was huge - biggest one I've ever seen. Why not?

NBgW0e4.jpg

Trimmed the fat off one side.

iZ2f7Pb.jpg

& prettied up the other.

w7cQMie.jpg

Pressed rock salt into the fat until I had very thick layer.

lxjk3it.jpg

The XL with Weber briquettes for fire & pecan for smoke. Temp at the grate was 285*. Grilled indirect with the fat side up until the meat was at 120*.

3WzISa6.jpg

Moved the roast to the hot side of the grill & salted side down for about 7 minutes.

d9JSOMY.jpg

Fire in the hole!

oJ5oMRp.jpg

Removed the meat & whacked it a few times with a spatula to knock the salt off it. Loosely tented with foil & rested for 15 minutes.

znxVD0A.jpg

A few slices.

3NfOtnH.jpg

Some avocado, tomato, crash potatoes (thanks Cliff) & chimichurri for the plate.
Time To Eat!!!

baDo8xu.jpg

Damn good!

fwiw - recipe by Steven Raichlen - "Planet Barbeque!".

Last edited:
Gorgeous looking meal there Robert. That TT is magnificent, perfectly cooked. 5 lbs. (almost) is getting up there. Hopefully lots of left overs Our Food Maxx and Winco occasionally offer bags of untrimmed Tri Tip. Cash and Carry too. Not sure you have any of those down you way.

An untrimmed TT can be a hit or miss up here. Sometimes the fat cap can be > than the meat. Yous however looks pretty dang good. It doesn't look like you trimmed the fat cap? You dang sure nailed that cook. Beautiful TT! If you didn't trim the fat cap, you melted it away beautifully. That plated picture is pure money

I like it Robert! Great plate of TT and sides. TT is our favorite cut of beef.

Ditto what Rich said, that is outstanding and the sides made the plate. Great job.

Thanks, Rich & Barb. We love Tre-Tip, too. Although I'm rather partial to Picanha & now Hanger Steak.

I’m in! Hard to find and brutally expensive around here!

I think SoCal is awash with it at times.

Gorgeous looking meal there Robert. That TT is magnificent, perfectly cooked. 5 lbs. (almost) is getting up there. Hopefully lots of left overs Our Food Maxx and Winco occasionally offer bags of untrimmed Tri Tip. Cash and Carry too. Not sure you have any of those down you way.

Thanks, Cliff. There's a Winco here, but it's in a shopping center that's a pita to go to due to traffic. Albertson's & Von's has it on sale upon occasion. The last time I was going to do this cook, I got a TT out of the meat case & half the fat was gone from the back of it. That's why I went to the meat counter & made sure I got what I wanted. Stater Bros. has it quite often, but they sell select grade. I use it for chili, mostly.

An untrimmed TT can be a hit or miss up here. Sometimes the fat cap can be > than the meat. Yous however looks pretty dang good. It doesn't look like you trimmed the fat cap? You dang sure nailed that cook. Beautiful TT! If you didn't trim the fat cap, you melted it away beautifully. That plated picture is pure money

Thanks, Chuck. I didn't trim the fat cap - just cleaned it up a bit. Yeah... you can end up with a lot of fat on an untrimmed TT. I've done enough of them & weighed before & after trimming that I can reasonably add $2/lb to get the true value of a trimmed TT.

Last edited:
Love the flame picture and the plated pic Robert, you learn something new every day on this forum.

Back