Moving Mishap.......lid replacement options needed

J Scott

Ok, so over this past summer, I was moving my last load of stuff from central Ohio up here to Erie, PA. I had my 22.5" WSM in the back of my pickup. Figured the lid would be ok, thought I had all the vents open. Well, I didn't. As soon as I got on the highway, the dome lid went flying out of my truck, luckily not landing on another vehicle. Not too bad I thought. Well, I got home and realized its now out of round and doesn't line up with the body any more. I got to poking around on the internet and found a replacement available through ereplacementparts.com but they want $102 plus $120 shipping! Any other suggestions? Maybe try to bend it back into shape? For that price I may as well just buy a new one!

Thanks for any suggestions!

--Jim

I would try bear hugging it back into round. You've got nothing to lose at this point by trying. Use a tape measure and figure out where the longest diameter is than then squeeze at those 2 points. You'll want to go a little beyond where you want it. I'm not surprised by the cost of the lid, but I am surprised the shipping is that high. You might try calling weber.

I’d take a look on craigslist to see what might be available cheeeep!! #0000 steel wool will clean up the lid..

I'm not very smart but could it be possible to wrap a ratchet strap around the lip and bring it back into shape?

Measure the diameter of the lid in several places to find the longest and shortest diameter. 1/2 the difference in those two numbers is how far you have to squeeze the lid to get it back to round. A 24 in. Quick Grip clamp costs less than $30 and it wiil pull the lid back into round. Place it across the longest diameter and squeeze it in. You may have to squeeze it an extra 1/8 in because metal tends to spring back a little. It may take a few tries but that will bring the lid back into round unless it's crimped. Hope this helps.A ratchet strap probably won't work because it exerts equal force all around the lid.

If you're strong enough you can probably just use your hands to squeeze the long sides. It's worth a try. This old codger would use a clamp.

Great suggestion to use quick clamps. I just bought a used 22”. It was a little out of round. It wasn’t bad. But, after I put nomex on, it made it difficult to assemble. I used your suggestion and it now goes together much easier. I can’t help but think that it might spring back a little. But, if it does, it’s a piece of cake to apply a little gentle pressure with the clamp.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Back