On Sale Steak Cook

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Just a quick post of a New York Steak cook I did this week. Thought I'd slap it on before the games start later this morning. I saw a four pack of New York Steaks on sale a week or so ago in one of our big box stores. I usually pass up the bargain bin but these were $4.99/lb. and looked pretty good. They didn't say Choice so I'm assuming they were Select. Decided to give them a try. A few quick shots.

Just salt and pepper.

enhance

Couple of Chokes.

enhance

The obligatory foil ball shot. Chokes on for an hour.

enhance

Crash Potatoes

enhance

Steaks on.

enhance

enhance

Plated things up.

enhance

enhance

The steaks did not disappoint. They were delicious and worth every penny, and, I've got two more in the freezer. Nice dinner. Now, on with some NFL Football. Have a great day everyone. Thanks for looking.

Nice looking cook Cliff, except for that green thing, seeing a lot of chokes on here recently there must be a nation wide shortage of Round Up. :p Barb loves them me...NO.
Barb and I get lots of "dog food specials" and never ended up with anything that wasn't good. Here it's mostly tri tips and strip steaks usually at least half off the sale price.

Great looking Steak, artichoke's and smash potatoes cook Cliff. How are you liking the grillgrates so far?

That's a good cook & mighty fine plate. I do cheap select tri-tips - they're good for chili. Not too keen on other cuts of select beef. Gotta try crash potatoes one fine day soon.

We must try artichokes one day, if I can get them fresh enough.

We love them Mark and have them 2 or 3 times a month, when available. These two weren't that fresh. Had them for nearly a week in the fridge before getting around to them but they were still good. This is an old Weber recipe, I believe from the Big Book. Soak the chokes in water with juice from a couple of lemons for an hour or so. Then it's just some minced garlic with some OO drizzled over the top. Wrap in foil and let them go for around an hour.

How are you liking the grillgrates so far?

Love them Jeff, particularly for beef and pork. Chicken I'm still adjusting to. Moderate success so far.

Gotta try crash potatoes one fine day soon.

Give 'em a try Robert. Hard to go wrong with a Pioneer Woman cook. We like them with dried thyme sprinkled on top.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/?printable_recipe=10944

Great looking meal Cliff. I love grilled chokes but have never seen this technique. Do you parboil them before grilling in foil? Add water to the foil wrap? Can you elaborate on the technique please?

Regards,

John

Great looking meal Cliff. I love grilled chokes but have never seen this technique. Do you parboil them before grilling in foil? Add water to the foil wrap? Can you elaborate on the technique please?

Regards,

John

You bet John..... Pretty simple Weber recipe really. As mentioned I trimmed and soaked the chokes in water with the juice of 2 lemons. I let it go, but it really doesn't have to be that long. Just keep them submerged. I chop up sever cloves of garlic and lay out two sheets of heavy duty foil for each choke. Place a 1/2 tsp of the chopped garlic in the center of the foil and place the trimmed (stem removed) artichoke on the garlic. Drizzle a tsp of olive oil over the choke and sprinkle another 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic over the choke. Add more if you're a garlic lover. Add a little salt. Fold up the foil and wrap the chokes as shown in my photo. Then wrap the second sheet of foil. Then it's indirect on your grill for around and hour. Carefully open and enjoy. No, I did not parboil. Good luck!

You bet John..... Pretty simple Weber recipe really. As mentioned I trimmed and soaked the chokes in water with the juice of 2 lemons. I let it go, but it really doesn't have to be that long. Just keep them submerged. I chop up sever cloves of garlic and lay out two sheets of heavy duty foil for each choke. Place a 1/2 tsp of the chopped garlic in the center of the foil and place the trimmed (stem removed) artichoke on the garlic. Drizzle a tsp of olive oil over the choke and sprinkle another 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic over the choke. Add more if you're a garlic lover. Add a little salt. Fold up the foil and wrap the chokes as shown in my photo. Then wrap the second sheet of foil. Then it's indirect on your grill for around and hour. Carefully open and enjoy. No, I did not parboil. Good luck!

Thanks Cliff - that is definitely going on the to do list...

Regards,

John

Back