Ribs, what is best

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, so I have some questions about ribs. What is generally considered the best cut for ribs? Also, what is generally considered the best meat for ribs, Beef or Pork?

that is a big question my friend :)

I like (pork) st louis (bigger) & loin backs (meatier), but I won't turn down babybacks either.

Beef ribs? I'll take them cooked for only a couple of hours & eat it like a ribeye with a handle, or maybe even some short ribs, S. Korean style.

I'm not too picky :)

My favorite ribs are Costco Loin Back (pork). I and my family and friends prefer them a bit more tender than competition ribs.

I happen to prefer pork ribs over beef. But, that is just me. The best ribs are what YOU like!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I feel St Louis style have the most flavor and meat for pork. For beef, I ask the meat department to sell me short ribs before they cut them down *leave them whole). Great flavor.

Pork baby back and pork loin (back) ribs are the same thing, cut from the upper loin part of the rib cage, spares from the lower part.
Like Robert said, the best ones are the ones you like best.

Pork baby back and pork loin (back) ribs are the same thing, cut from the upper loin part of the rib cage, spares from the lower part.
Like Robert said, the best ones are the ones you like best.

Thanks for clarifying , was beginning to wonder if there was a cut I was missing out on .

I suggest that you go through the work, actually fun, of trying them all and deciding which you and your family like best. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. My favorite is St Louis Style pok ribs but my wife prefers beef ribs.

I like the baby backs myself. Try them all and figure out which ones you like best.

Thanks guys. Yah, I will try several. I can get beef center cut back ribs at the local walmart for a good price when they are nearing their sell by date. We like them. I have made pork ribs as well, but I cannot remember the name/style. It just seems like the different cuts are very confusing and a lot of times, the same cuts are called different names which makes it completely confusing.

I also know about the "country style" ribs not being actual ribs, and have tried both beef and pork. My family likes the beef ones but not so much the pork version.

I will have to start keeping track of the different cuts I try and how they work out and how each family member likes them.

Baby backs for Barb and I. Prefer Costco's, second would be St Louis style. Beef ribs I haven't had much success with them so I kind of gave up on them.

Just got a COSTCO membership so I will be checking out their meat section. I have heard good things about it.

Rich: Do you prefer and just do pork ribs now?

I thought Loin back ribs weighed more than 2lbs and baby backs weighed less, like 1 3/4 lbs?
I know when I see them side by side, baby backs are smaller, hence the name.

Tim

I thought Loin back ribs weighed more than 2lbs and baby backs weighed less, like 1 3/4 lbs?
I know when I see them side by side, baby backs are smaller, hence the name.

Tim
No matter the name given them, or size, or weight, they're both the same cut.
I'm sure cooking a whole slab of ribs, loins and spares uncut, would present a done-ness challenge, but I'd like to try. :)

No matter the name given them, or size, or weight, they're both the same cut. :)

I know that Bob.:) But the OP asked what is best, and if he looks for baby backs they should be smaller and if he looks for loin or back ribs they should be larger and more meatier.
I'll agree with Cliff that there is a difference.

Tim

Touche Tim. :)
But I've seen small ones labeled loin ribs, and larger ones labeled baby backs.
Riddle me this, do St Louis spare ribs have to be from St Louis pigs? :p

Last edited:
Bob I've had some folks tell me they won't touch spare ribs but love St Louis ribs..

Tim

Touche Tim. :)
But I've seen small ones labeled loin ribs, and larger ones labeled baby backs.
Riddle me this, do St Louis spare ribs have to be from St Louis pigs? :p

Yah, see this thread shows exactly why it is so hard to determine exactly what ribs are what. Seems like ribs are like fish, everyone has their own name for different ones.

Back