Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sort of icon represents a damper?

TVWBB Platinum Member Bryan Mayland's Avatar

What sort of icon represents a damper?

I've been messing around with some UI ideas and while we can all agree what a blower or fan icon looks like, I keep struggling with what sort of icon would represent the damper's position. The biggest problem is that I am not an artist, but the other problem is that the icon needs to be easily identifiable down to 32x32 pixels and monochrome. So what are some things that could represent an amount of choked-off air such as a damper?

I've mostly been using a open door silhouette as a placeholder, but a rectangle outline with another rectangle in it isn't great at conveying the idea of a damper. I've also looked a using a windy icon which feels more like a combination of blower+damper idea. A open door + wind might be ok but there's not enough resolution for that.

Maybe some sort of jail bars sort of grill? What other concept can be used to indicate damper percentage? Bonus points if you find a royalty-free vector image or PNG in the right size.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

TVWBB Wizard
    How about a pie(circle) having 6 slices. The slices don't really need to represent a percentage that accurate. So one slice out of the pie and the dampers is open and below 20%. 2 slices and that can be 20 to 35% or so and 3 slices is 50% and so on.

Is it a static icon or one that will change based on the PID output? Where in the UI will it be seen?

It will be a static icon with a gauge/meter and a percentage number. It could be used everywhere! Like as a navigation icon for a different settings UI, in the homepage for displaying status, in an app or in more responsive webui that better adapts to mobile. I'm just messing around throwing together a bunch of different mockups to see how things fit together on different displays and layouts and deciding what information is important but I am pretty sure that I'm going to want to break down the PID output into a smaller "Output" (probably a gauge + number), Blower/Boost indicator - 2Fast2Furious (gauge + icon + number) and optional Damper indicator (gauge + icon + position or percentage). However, whenever I need to mock it up I've been using a stupid door icon and I don't like it!

I like the idea of the pie slice, sort of like the Trivial Pursuit filled-wedge design, but this won't be dynamic because it is also accompanied by some sort of indicator bar / arc. That made me think about copying the weber or green egg vent look, but in low res they look just like a fan. Circles arranged in a circle is a damper and tearshapes around a circle in a circle is a fan? I can already hear my Dad asking what they're supposed to be. Maybe a partially opened wedge/pie shape with sectors.

TVWBB Wizard
    Have a pie shape with half the pie still there and on the other side have half of a fan exposed.

I think this is a good indicator for the damper.

Or maybe a valve icon, since it's basically a valve.

I think the windy icon is good for the blower.

Here are a couple ideas:

TVWBB Emerald Member
    I like Steves first suggestion, except that it kinda looks like the radiation symbol as well...
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

Yeah I think I might take a stab at making one of those except with two lobes like Len's image. That way nobody should think it is a fan because what fan has 2 blades!

I might try to incorporate the windy icon into the blower icon because windy doesn't look like forced airflow enough, but the fan icon by itself looks sort of like the damper icon. \o/

TVWBB Member
    How about a shutter motif as per this example;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast