The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temp For Actually Pulling Pulled Pork

TVWBB Super Fan
    I pull it when I'm so hungry I can't stand waiting anymore. I've never taken the temp. I don't think it matters as long as you give it a good rest beforehand and you don't burn your fingers while pulling. Like you mentioned, if it gets too cool it will start to congeal, making the pulling harder, but I've never had that happen letting it rest at room temperature.

BTW, the Amazon thing isn't entirely the fault of those people. Amazon will sometimes send email to people saying, "A customer has a question about a product you recently purchased. Can you answer their question?" They then forward the responses to you. Some people apparently think you asked them individually and politeness requires that they respond, even if they can't answer the question.

I agree with everything you said.
    I usually pull it when I can't stand to wait any longer too. Not too clinical but it works. My problem is with leftovers. I realize that the only way to get the same texture as it had when it was originally pulled is to do it all finely at once. Then, when it's cold, it's easier for me to reproduce the same texture as when it was first pulled. I have a tendency to get sloppy after a few minutes and start chopping when the meat is cold, once again, because I'm overcome with hunger.
    As far as Amazon goes, I understand what you are saying. It's just that folks are not obligated to answer a question if they have no answer. While I appreciate the courtesy and good intentions, it forces me to be nice in return and thank them for telling me they are unable to answer my question. A few of those in a day and I begin to lose patience. I always respond, of course, just to be polite. Perhaps Amazon should be more explicit in telling people that they need not answer if they don't have one, as self evident as that should be. Thanks for your response.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne RI View Post
    ..it forces me to be nice in return and thank them...
    There is no force upon us; we are at liberty to simply move-on.
    Last edited by BFletcher; 01-12-2018 at 02:09 PM.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JayHeyl View Post
    I've never taken the temp.
    Nor have I; my probes are long offline at the point of using the claws.

I'll agree that there is no known optimal pulling temperature ( that I've seen or heard of) So I'll agree with the other members.
    Do your normal and let it cool off enough to use claws or gloved hands.
    I think for food safety you want to keep it above 140 before you store it .

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

"I think for food safety you want to keep it above 140 before you store it ."
    Good point. Thanks.

TVWBB Pro
    I, too, have had to run them up into the 207 range when probing for doneness.

I will only pull after they rest for a minimum of two hours. But I've never probed them afterwards for temps. I burn my fingers a lot. I've learned to break them up into sections to cool some while I work on other pieces.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12