Temp For Actually Pulling Pulled Pork

Wayne RI

Hi. I have a Virtual Bullet. My favorite is pork shoulder done low and slow. I bring the shoulder to 205 degrees with a pit temp of between 225 and 275. Takes forever but it's worth it.
Here's my question: In all of the research I've done, I have never seen a perfect temperature stated for actually pulling the pork with a couple of "bear claws".
Does a perfect temperature exist? Before I got the bear claws I did it with my hands and the ability to withstand the heat was the governing factor. Is there an advantage to pulling it at a higher temp, now that I have the means? Thanks.

I'll say it before someone else does, it's done when it's done, be it 190° or 220° internal.
I cook bone-in butts and when the bone wiggles freely, off it comes for a rest before pulling.
Probing around for tenderness works too.

No one else has said it because you answered a question that I didn't ask. I didn't ask when it's done. I asked what the optimum temp for pulling it was after it rested.

Sorry Wayne, I misread your question.
Can't help you on that, I use gloves and let it rest until it's cool enough to pull.

I'm sorry also. Through my dealings with Amazon I've become overly touchy about responses to my questions. I continuously get emails from people who go out of their way to tell me they can't answer my question with "I don't know. I gave it as a gift." or "I can't tell you because I never received it" or "I don't know. I only use it to boil water"
Truly sorry for my overreaction.
Back to the subject. I used to pull it with my hands using rubber gloves and that assured that it rested long enough. Now I have "bear claws" to lift it out of the pit and also to shred it after it has rested and I was wondering if there was a magical optimum temp. I'm probably overthinking it and should go back to pulling it when it comes down to a comfortable temp for my hands, even if I actually do it with the claws. Thanks for taking the time to respond and once again, sorry for the overreaction.

Not to worry Wayne, no offense taken.

I have a set of the Weber metal claws, but found I like using my gloved hands so I can pick out the gunky stuff easier.
Plus, I don't finely shred the meat, we like it a bit chunky.

That's a good question. I've seen people talk about slicing temp for brisket, which the optimal would be the amount that's still safe but retains moisture in the meat, so 140 is I believe the number on that. Franklin for instance holds his briskets at 140 or so. I've seen this at Cattlelack's in Dallas as well.

As far as pulled pork, I feel like the meat might firm back up a little if you let it get that low and people usually sauce it anyway. I'd say at least let it cool down to 170 and maybe as low as 140. I usually just let it rest an hour and pull it so I've generally not checked the temp. I typically shred with forks.

I thought I posted this response before but I don't see it. If it should show up again, I apologize. I agree that the hands on method is the best. There are things that you can feel that you wouldn't want in the finished product.
As for finely shredding, for me it's a matter of convenience. I live alone so there is a lot of pork left over after the first meal. Refrigeration tightens the meat as well as congealing the fat, making it harder to shred the more coarse it is when initially refrigerated. I end up chopping it and that's ok but not the texture I'm looking for in the finished sandwich. Finely shredding before refrigeration makes it easier to shred after. Thanks for your responses.

If there's an optimal temp at which to pull it's news to me; I attack it once I can comfortably do so. I'm inclined to say the earliest I have done so is roughly 45 minutes after removing from the smoker. The longest has been over a couple hours. Nearly all my shoulders have some of their meat sealed, frozen, then served afterwards, which implies that some activities take place after introducing them to the claws. I can re-heat two batches from different smokers and immediately detect a difference in flavor and texture (I usually use a WSM but sometimes use a PBC), yet--for my taste--neither is necessarily preferred one the other. But I am far, far from an experienced chef.

Sorry Wayne, I misread your question.
Can't help you on that, I use gloves and let it rest until it's cool enough to pull.

No one else has said it because you answered a question that I didn't ask. I didn't ask when it's done. I asked what the optimum temp for pulling it was after it rested.

I too use the gloved hands method to fish out the veins of fat that I don't want...I also like a thicker, less shredded pound or so for freezing for later or adding to bolognese...I know that I wait for it to get below 150F. I leave the remote probe in it and put it in the oven (off) to cool covered and hold the juices.

I pull it when I'm so hungry I can't stand waiting anymore. I've never taken the temp. I don't think it matters as long as you give it a good rest beforehand and you don't burn your fingers while pulling. Like you mentioned, if it gets too cool it will start to congeal, making the pulling harder, but I've never had that happen letting it rest at room temperature.

BTW, the Amazon thing isn't entirely the fault of those people. Amazon will sometimes send email to people saying, "A customer has a question about a product you recently purchased. Can you answer their question?" They then forward the responses to you. Some people apparently think you asked them individually and politeness requires that they respond, even if they can't answer the question.

I agree with everything you said.
I usually pull it when I can't stand to wait any longer too. Not too clinical but it works. My problem is with leftovers. I realize that the only way to get the same texture as it had when it was originally pulled is to do it all finely at once. Then, when it's cold, it's easier for me to reproduce the same texture as when it was first pulled. I have a tendency to get sloppy after a few minutes and start chopping when the meat is cold, once again, because I'm overcome with hunger.
As far as Amazon goes, I understand what you are saying. It's just that folks are not obligated to answer a question if they have no answer. While I appreciate the courtesy and good intentions, it forces me to be nice in return and thank them for telling me they are unable to answer my question. A few of those in a day and I begin to lose patience. I always respond, of course, just to be polite. Perhaps Amazon should be more explicit in telling people that they need not answer if they don't have one, as self evident as that should be. Thanks for your response.

I'll agree that there is no known optimal pulling temperature ( that I've seen or heard of) So I'll agree with the other members.
Do your normal and let it cool off enough to use claws or gloved hands.
I think for food safety you want to keep it above 140 before you store it .

Tim

I, too, have had to run them up into the 207 range when probing for doneness.

I will only pull after they rest for a minimum of two hours. But I've never probed them afterwards for temps. I burn my fingers a lot. I've learned to break them up into sections to cool some while I work on other pieces.

Back